Why do you think it's dead? (Destiny)

by Earendil, Monday, January 12, 2015, 15:43 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Personally, I think it's the cheesing that kills it.

Let's paint an extreme picture:
I find an exploit that zaps me to the end of a level, allowing me to beat a level in one second. Is it amazing that I found it? Maybe. But the process is easy, and I'll post it to youtube, and now anyone can do the exact same thing. No amount of being "better" at destiny will allow you to "beat" my time. You can shoot faster, run harder, dodge more, and it won't matter. At best those kinds of exploits minimizes a skilled player, and at worst (as in my extreme example) completely negate it.

I watch "solo" and "speed run" videos of destiny and I walk away from them saying to myself "neat trick, but I could do that". Anyone remember some of the insane Halo runs where, after watching it, you walk away thinking "damn that was amazing, maybe someday I can play like that" ? I do, but I'll be damned if I can find one of those videos now :)

If you want it to live I believe we need two things:
1. For this (and other) communities to praise legit speed runs.
2. For Bungie to keep fixing every exploit and bit of cheese they can.

And here is my final thought:
Halo certainly had it's fair share of exploits, but I feel like they weren't on average as skill defying as the popular Destiny ones. Perhaps that's because Destiny is still young, and we're all still praising and popularizing the cheap shots.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread