Microsoft gets it, actually. (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:30 (3394 days ago) @ Korny

"PC" doesn't automatically mean "Gaming rig".

That's the crux of it, really. Pretty much everyone has a PC at this point, but not everyone buys a gaming rig. And it's not just "normals." I'm quite capable of building a gaming rig, and I am an avid gamer, but my PC is based around nearly decade-old hardware because I just can't be bothered to change it.

Guilty.

I bought a new laptop not too long ago that technically is a gaming rig, however I'm using it more as a workstation and to dabble in design, more than fragging n00bs.

I think that on the surface, what they've announced is pretty neat. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how it is actually executed before we all "oooooh and ahhhhhh" over it.

One thing that immediately came to my mind though, is I feel 100% certain and assured in saying that Theater mode, as we love and know it from Halo Reach, will never be in Destiny, much less any other games, at this point.

Between these new streaming options and services like twitch, I just can't see an incentive for dev's to spend time\money developing the feature anymore.

I dunno. Sony's been developing the Camera mode for many titles, even multi-platform ones. Heck, just recently they applied an oft-requested feature to The Last of Us (and I imagine to Infamous as well) where you can remove the game world's characters to take pictures of the scenery. I think this is the foundation for a more "traditional" theater mode. The demand is high, and they could even charge for the feature. I'd help crowd-fun this development.

I'm definitely referring to detached camera and replay mode, where more....strategic filming and perspective options are available, as opposed to only the in game camera experience by the player.

For streamers, all this stuff is a boon, for sure. But for more (struggles to find word) artistic footage or machinama if feels like 2002 again with RvB and trying to cut out HUD clutter and getting creative with the player camera.

Granted, where there is will, there is a way, but it feels like a step backward for just about everyone outside of FPS montages, if that makes sense.

Then again, Bungie is pretty good about spoiling their players, and putting in cool shit because fuck standards, COOL SHIT. We'll see, but I'm not hoping anymore.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread