But what about those 300,000,000 Cloud Servers? (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:27 (3375 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Most of my concerns come down to how Bungie has chosen to handle latency in general. I personally feel that matchmaking should be using latency as its first priority in selecting players. But maybe that isn't necessarily feasible, or isn't the priority they've chosen.

What do you mean by "selecting players" ? Matchmaking or like selecting host? Speaking of host... does Destiny ever perform host migrations? I remember in Halo when the host migration happened, the game would pause and go back to a team screen while respawning everyone into the "new match" ... does Destiny handle this seamlessly in the background? I guess I've never really noticed "down time". Maybe those times when you're dead and the countdown has expired, but you don't respawn no matter how many times you mash X are actually the middle of a host migration.

Destiny does do mid-match host migrations, but it is much more seamless then Halo ever was. This is how the infamous "Get Crota stuck taking a knee" glitch was performed. While the migration was happening, the game locally simulates some aspects of the game, and freezes others, until migration is complete. At least, that was my experience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread