New Marathon

by Flynn J Taggart, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 03:33 (4022 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So apparently if Bungie meets certain milestones, Activision will let them develop a new Marathon title.

I'd love to know what those milestones are. I'm not yet sure if I want to help make sure those milestones are met, or sabotage them so they are never met.

Is another Marathon game a good idea, especially when we live in a world where modern game design practices would never ever give us anything remotely resembling the original Marathon Trilogy?

Discuss.

Halo was sufficiently close to Marathon that a new Marathon would probably be pretty indistinguishable from Halo. Slightly different art, a few slightly different weapons, maybe (big maybe) the ability to carry more than 2 guns at once. Would they have recharging shields or would it be the battery plug-into-wall method again? Would Bungie even opt for terminals in a theoretical Marathon sequel? I thought they worked fine in Halo 3, but they're more of a vital part of the Marathon experience. My guess is that they'd gel a lot of Halo in with a lot of Marathon to the point of it being basically Halo 5 with a slight Marathon-tinge. I'd be down for it if they could get Greg Kirkpatrick and more of the original Marathon folks back into the Bungie mix to contribute somehow.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread