How is that possible? (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 11:02 (3293 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I cited it because your access to it can be beyond your control. If you buy a game disc, or a cartridge, the longevity is related to the care you put into preserving it. If it's scratched or damaged, that's your fault. I have never had a game disc go bad. Ever. And I have some that are as old as 1991. I would be surprised if you had access to your digitally purchased media 24 years from now.

In contrast, I have had tons of hard drives go bad. To my knowledge, I can't simply back up my PS4's hard disk (if you can, please let me know!). If it ever does, then I am out the ability to play P.T.

Off the top of my head, here are game disks I've bought since 2001 that have gotten annihilated:

Here is a list of hard drives I have bought that have gone bad since forever.

I know drives fail, I do. But disks just as inexplicably and just as often fail. For example, my Skyrim disk literally never once left the Xbox while I was playing it. Took it out to assess issues, weird circular scratches. My Xbox did that one in particular only once ever, and it was to Skyrim.

I own two copies of Destiny on disk, one on the 360 and one on the Bone (that I got on sale I think in December or January for $30 too) because I didn't know about the digital stuff at the point of my preorder, and I live in constant, albeit incredibly minor, fear that one will break, and I'll be limited to only one of those systems.

Anyway, I refuse to believe your disks have never broken.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread