Always Online and Game Longevity (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:29 (3228 days ago) @ Xenos

Just a minor note: as long as Bungie meets the terms of the contract they maintain ownership of Destiny. If Destiny is taken down it will be Bungie's decision not Activision's. (This is of course based on the leaked contract, there could be some changes, but I doubt that would change)

While that is true, the point still stands. At some point it just doesn't make sense for them to keep those servers running.

Granted, for me it's not much of an issue with Destiny. The discussion has occurred many times at this point, but Destiny is a game that's much better with friends. That's where the fun of Destiny happens for me. While playing alone is enjoyable, it's not the same as playing through the Halo campaign. By the time they take the servers offline, I highly doubt any of my friends will be playing regularly, so I don't see myself wanting to play Destiny at that point.

Now, what that says about Destiny is an entirely different conversation. We still have people like Rockslider putting together awesome things in the original Halo, nearly fifteen years later. It seems pretty obvious that sort of thing won't be true of Destiny (at least as the game is now).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread