My God, it's full of stars. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, July 24, 2015, 17:14 (3220 days ago) @ Kermit

I loved the book, but the movie was the one film I've EVER seen that I fell asleep in a theater while watching. Slow burn, indeed.

That's the Kubrick Curse for me too. No matter how "great" and "groundbreaking" his films are, they're so dang boooooooooring to sit through. I'm not one of the Michael Bay types, but things in Kubrick's films drag on way, way too much (especially when he goes into the pointless slo-mo or long music-driven scenes). It's a commitment to sit through his films, but it pays off, for the most part.

You want sleep-inducing film, though? Try sitting though "My Dinner With Andre". Cure for insomnia right there...

If I were a jerk I'd step in here and say that everyone knows that Korny has the worst taste in movies, but I'm not a jerk.

MY DINNER WITH ANDREW is one of my favorites. Bought the criterion version a few years back.

I tried watching it twice with a dear friend (and fellow film aficionado), since he loves it, and had a lot of trouble keeping my eyes open. My friend thought I was joking around as I struggled to keep my eyes open, but I dropped like a rock after what felt like an eternal struggle.

We tried watching it again the next day, and when Dude B got to the part of his "story" where he was inside the hole, I asked to check how much longer the film was, saw the remaining time, and Nope'd so hard that I might have offended my friend a bit. But c'est la vie. That "film" is the equivalent of modern art for me: Pretentious garbage by and for pretentious folk ("Sawdust" is a DBO-friendly term that comes to mind).

Of course, maybe I just don't "get" it, but it is what it is... Some people don't like "Battlefield Earth"...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread