Grenades in midair and death. (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:20 (3165 days ago)
edited by dogcow, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:23

Beware, hyperbolic grenade rants live here!

So, apparently grenades that have been thrown and not-yet hit anything vanish when you die? (reddit link) Is this really a thing? How did I not know this? I've always thought my lack of ability to toss a grenade as I die was due to the combination of net-code, lag, & correction of game-state and has been a point of frustration to me since I first dipped my toe in the PvP pool. Who would expect a grenade to disappear upon your death? It's confusing.

The 'death grenade' is something I miss from Halo. In my old-timey LAN-clan there's a guy who's not terribly good, except with grenades, with which he was amazeballs. If you were anywhere near him when killing him you'd have to count on jumping to avoid his green 'nade placed at your feet or dodging to the side to avoid the blue stickies. He was the post-mortem king. I haven't played Destiny with him (he'd be on xbox if he played), but I'd miss this quirk of gameplay.

I wonder, why did Bungie make that change to grenades? It's not like grenades in Destiny are anywhere near as deadly as they were in Halo, so the death grenade was inherently nerfed, why go to the effort of removing them while in midair? Why? I just don't understand.

Now leaving the dangerous grenade rant land.

Ok, rant over, I'm now typing in a calm and cool manner. I was a little shocked to find out about grenades in midair vanishing upon death. I did not know the game behaved this way; knowing about it certainly explains some of my frustrations & bewilderment. It's confusing behavior. I wonder what motivated Bungie to alter this behavior from their previous games. Any ideas gang?

edit: formatting.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread