The Costly King (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 00:47 (3156 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

Now accounts on the same Xbox 360 as one that bought TTK can no longer all access it like the previous DLCs. Each individual account has to spend the $40.

Not just each individual account. Each account per platform.

Because I preordered Destiny as a digital download before launch, as well as bought the expansion pass, this is what I paid so that I could play Destiny online on my Xbox One, and I could also play couch co-op at home with my wife on our two old 360s:

$60 Destiny
$40 Expansion Pass
$100 total

That's it. The upgrade from 360 to Xbox One was included in the price, and because both were regular purchases in the Game Marketplace, and not in-game purchases, the usual rules apply-- content can be used by the account holder who purchased it, and by any user on the console it was originally purchased on.

Now, enter the Taken King:

$40 Taken King, Narcogen on Xbox One
$40 Taken King, Narcogen on Xbox 360 #1
$40 Taken King, Narc's wife on Xbox 360 #2
$120 total

So that's $20 more to play just one of three expansions for a game I already owned on two platforms and three consoles. I got perhaps a better deal than would be usual to start with, but now the deal is worse. For each new expansion it will presumably be the same-- I'll need to buy three copies (or another new console, but I can barely stand the Xbox One I have).

This has nothing to do with enforcing platform rules, it appears designed to skirt platform policy specifically with regard to marketplace content and what you're allowed to do with it.

I suppose Bungie just figured they hadn't gotten enough of my money over the past 25 years.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread