TWaB and Deej (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 13:45 (2919 days ago)

In a game ruled by magic and exotic weaponry, there is still a seat at the table for a good, old-fashioned, bare-knuckled attack. Isn’t that right, Titans?

Maybe it's because I'm a Titan and maybe it's because Titan's have the worst melee. Maybe it's because Deej actually believes that Titan's have the best melee (as a warlock no less). Either way, every time Deej says something like this it makes me seethe a little bit...

[Edit] All things will be made even if you give a Titan a upper cut melee that makes guardians do a backflip death sequence.

They do have the fastest, I guess...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 29, 2016, 13:51 (2919 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

If this is true, it's huge

by Earendil, Friday, April 29, 2016, 17:34 (2918 days ago) @ ZackDark

I win duels with my warlock because I wear gloves that increase attack speed. Whoever gets the second hit, wins. Where my warlock ability helps me is if I've taken damage from a gun first, and am able to get off the first hit, then the armor kicks in and I have a chance at winning a two hit fight.

Also, having my melee burn people to death after I'm dead happens all the friggin time, but a lot less so now that most titans choose regen armor.

It is true, but a warlock can get a hit in sooner.

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 29, 2016, 17:48 (2918 days ago) @ Earendil

Due to the range, a warlock will usually win melee battles. Furthermore, with charged melee powers, the warlock will almost always win, since the titan one only procs on kill.

Absolutely correct

by Earendil, Friday, April 29, 2016, 17:57 (2918 days ago) @ Funkmon

Due to the range, a warlock will usually win melee battles. Furthermore, with charged melee powers, the warlock will almost always win, since the titan one only procs on kill.

So a Titan wins if the Titan doesn't start a melee fight at 10 feet when the enemy can see him coming... Of course, there are ways for a Titan to get around that, but they are specialized.

Except for shoulder charge

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:03 (2919 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Blackt1g3r, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:07

Maybe it's because I'm a Titan and maybe it's because Titan's have the worst melee. Maybe it's because Deej actually believes that Titan's have the best melee (as a warlock no less). Either way, every time Deej says something like this it makes me seethe a little bit...

But yes, Deej only plays as a warlock and it seems he doesn't understand that warlocks have the most powerful melee. That said, I had a lot of fun in IB last night because most of my kills were shoulder charges.

For example, this game I had 25 kills. 18 of which were melee kills! Mostly shoulder charges I'm sure. :)

by Earendil, Friday, April 29, 2016, 17:30 (2918 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Now, I am in the camp that thinks that Warlock melees are over sold, and titan melees are better than people think.
BUT, I think the idea is that since a titan charge can't START at melee range (even if it ends there) means that it isn't really a melee weapon. You don't back around a corner, find an enemy in your face, and start charging, it's just not possible. I believe Mac wants Titan's to be able to be dropped into a small pit with a hunter or warlock and have a better than not chance of winning.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 17:47 (2918 days ago) @ Earendil

Now, I am in the camp that thinks that Warlock melees are over sold, and titan melees are better than people think.
BUT, I think the idea is that since a titan charge can't START at melee range (even if it ends there) means that it isn't really a melee weapon. You don't back around a corner, find an enemy in your face, and start charging, it's just not possible. I believe Mac wants Titan's to be able to be dropped into a small pit with a hunter or warlock and have a better than not chance of winning.

Personally, I think that if a titan gets within it's melee range it should have an advantage. Because more often than not, if a titan gets within melee range it's already hurting or dead.

What about a Titan makes it look like it would be a good idea to go to hand to hand combat with them? This is what bugs me the most.

OOOO!! I got this!

by Earendil, Friday, April 29, 2016, 17:54 (2918 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Personally, I think that if a titan gets within it's melee range it should have an advantage. Because more often than not, if a titan gets within melee range it's already hurting or dead.

Why is this any more true of titans than other classes? If anything, a Titan's option speed and/or optional shield should enable a titan to close that distance better than any other character, right? I generally only use melee when I accidentally get too close to an enemy. I'd much prefer scout rifle range.

What about a Titan makes it look like it would be a good idea to go to hand to hand combat with them? This is what bugs me the most.

NOTHING about a titan makes me want to go hand to hand, which is why I magic-bitch-slap yo ass from 10 feet away ;-)
But in all seriousness, if a titan has a faster attack speed, and a titan and a warlock round a corner and find themselves toe to toe, the titan should win, yes? A warlock's only innate melee ability is the range, which is unhelpful if it goes to fisticuffs at point blank range.

OOOO!! I got this!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 18:00 (2918 days ago) @ Earendil

Why is this any more true of titans than other classes? If anything, a Titan's option speed and/or optional shield should enable a titan to close that distance better than any other character, right? I generally only use melee when I accidentally get too close to an enemy. I'd much prefer scout rifle range.

NOTHING about a titan makes me want to go hand to hand, which is why I magic-bitch-slap yo ass from 10 feet away ;-)
But in all seriousness, if a titan has a faster attack speed, and a titan and a warlock round a corner and find themselves toe to toe, the titan should win, yes? A warlock's only innate melee ability is the range, which is unhelpful if it goes to fisticuffs at point blank range.

Now count all the times you accidentally rounded a corner and happened to be in Titan melee range without either of you holding a shotgun.

That's how many times Titans have an advantage in a straight up melee battle.

OOOO!! I got this!

by Earendil, Friday, April 29, 2016, 20:05 (2918 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Now count all the times you accidentally rounded a corner and happened to be in Titan melee range without either of you holding a shotgun.

That's how many times Titans have an advantage in a straight up melee battle.

Count them? Isn't this entire conversation predicated on neither party having a shotgun? I don't care what class you are, if the other side is holding a shot gun, you dead. Do you often make eye contact with your opponent from 25 feet and then both charge each other?

Agreed

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 29, 2016, 18:26 (2918 days ago) @ Earendil

Overall, I think the biggest problem with the Warlock melee is how it barely relies on your aim. Its range isn't really what's OP, but how much the aim lurches towards an enemy is.

Warlock melee is my panic button. If you get close to me, I'll mash like crazy while jumping like I'm a freaking slinky. And it works.

Try that with a Titan. See how much I'll laugh at you.

Agreed

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 18:32 (2918 days ago) @ ZackDark

Overall, I think the biggest problem with the Warlock melee is how it barely relies on your aim. Its range isn't really what's OP, but how much the aim lurches towards an enemy is.

I don't know if I totally agree with you on this...

Warlock melee is my panic button. If you get close to me, I'll mash like crazy while jumping like I'm a freaking slinky. And it works.

Try that with a Titan. See how much I'll laugh at you.

I haven't felt this too much, but I haven't played my warlock that much. But the fact that I totally understand what you mean regardless of that says a lot.

Shoulder Charge

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:05 (2919 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The new fix should make Arc Blade and Shoulder Charge much more reliable.

Was shoulder charge not reliable? I get massacred with that thing all the time. (A primary reason I don't use a sniper and always carry a shotgun). Maybe it is bad, but as a one hit kill mechanic thats basically infinitely reusable, I'm not sure it "needs" to be buffed*.

*yeah I know it's not really a buff, but it is the one guardian mechanic that really bugs me (shade step spamming is a close second).

Shoulder Charge

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:06 (2919 days ago) @ breitzen

I don't find shoulder charge to be particularly un-reliable. Sure there are some weird situations where geometry can mess a shoulder charge up, but I don't find that particularly troubling.

Shoulder Charge

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:12 (2919 days ago) @ breitzen

The new fix should make Arc Blade and Shoulder Charge much more reliable.

Was shoulder charge not reliable? I get massacred with that thing all the time. (A primary reason I don't use a sniper and always carry a shotgun). Maybe it is bad, but as a one hit kill mechanic thats basically infinitely reusable, I'm not sure it "needs" to be buffed*.

*yeah I know it's not really a buff, but it is the one guardian mechanic that really bugs me (shade step spamming is a close second).

I don't even consider shoulder charge a melee. It is its own ability. It's like calling a throwing knife a melee. Yes, it's considered a melee, but it's not. I'm talking about MELEE. If I'm in close quarters with a guarding, I want to be able to do something worthwhile. Yes, shoulder charge is good and every time I bring this topic up someone states that shoulder charge is awesome.

Every time I start meleeing someone, I always think "I really hope they screw up somehow cause otherwise I'm going to lose this, but I have no other choice." Unless it's another Titan.

Shoulder Charge has been a mess lately

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 29, 2016, 15:23 (2918 days ago) @ breitzen

I still get a decent number of kills with it, but I've had plenty of controller-breaking moments of frustration with it over the past month or so. Most of the problems seem to stem from hit-detection while airborn: I'll jump, come down, shoulder charge just before I hit the ground, and magically pop up and over my target rather than slamming into them. But I've also had instances of running straight at a target and charging through him, rusilting in no damage.

On the flipside...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 29, 2016, 16:22 (2918 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I still get a decent number of kills with it, but I've had plenty of controller-breaking moments of frustration with it over the past month or so. Most of the problems seem to stem from hit-detection while airborn: I'll jump, come down, shoulder charge just before I hit the ground, and magically pop up and over my target rather than slamming into them. But I've also had instances of running straight at a target and charging through him, rusilting in no damage.

I've run into a number of folks who can do a slide, 180° turn, or two-step sprint and still have their Shoulder charge available. Is there some new trick that I'm missing?

Tips

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 29, 2016, 16:34 (2918 days ago) @ Korny

I've run into a number of folks who can do a slide, 180° turn, or two-step sprint and still have their Shoulder charge available. Is there some new trick that I'm missing?

Sliding doesn't stop you shoulder charge until it slows you down enough. It's a good way to close that last few steps. Sometimes I sprint into a wall nearby when I know someone is just around the corner, this allows me to build up a shoulder charge before I slide off the wall and use it. If you have the mk 44 Stand Asides equipped, you turn faster allowing you to make smaller turns before performing your shoulder charge.

On the flipside...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 29, 2016, 18:12 (2918 days ago) @ Korny

I think that's what frustrates me most. It seems like the risk of using a one hit kill charge is that your vulnerable a little longer. I've dodged a Titan sprinting at me only to have them somehow turn and activate charge and insta kill me.

This happened tonight...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 02:48 (2918 days ago) @ breitzen

and its exactly what I was talking about. How does the game possibly think that titan has the momentum to activate a shoulder charge?

This happened tonight...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 08:08 (2918 days ago) @ breitzen

I dunno, it's hard for me to tell whether they were sprinting that whole time. They did run into a wall, but the game only cares whether you're in sprint mode or not, actual speed doesn't seem to factor in.

Or it could just be lag. Maybe they didn't actually travel the way that was shown on your screen.

This happened tonight...

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 12:55 (2918 days ago) @ stabbim

My bet is that they were still sprinting into the wall, then when they jumped over it their shoulder charge was full.

This happened tonight...

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Sunday, May 01, 2016, 15:21 (2916 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

My bet is that they were still sprinting into the wall, then when they jumped over it their shoulder charge was full.

Yeah, it looked they burned their shoulder charge before they hit the ground, but it was just Twilight Garrison. They kept that charged sprint glow the whole time.

-Disciple

This happened tonight...

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, May 01, 2016, 15:30 (2916 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Twilight garrison cancels shoulder charge. After using it you must restart your sprint in order to shoulder charge.

TWaB and Deej

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:30 (2918 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

In a game ruled by magic and exotic weaponry, there is still a seat at the table for a good, old-fashioned, bare-knuckled attack. Isn’t that right, Titans?

I dunno, I find that Titans do have a few significant melee perks that the other classes don't.

Shoulder charge is a melee "perk" in that you can melee immediately after a shoulder charge, so if the charge doesn't kill the enemy, you've not only weakened them, you've closed ground extremely fast, putting the enemy in a vulnerable position faster than they expected it. Defender melee? You can get a recharging overshield (as opposed to the nerfed Warlock overshield). Sunbreaker melees make people vulnerable to a few shots (or simply cook them to death).

Plus, all Titans got a decent melee lunge with the Titan tweaks.

The only problem that I have with Titan melees is that it takes me a while to get used to the range difference, since they don't have a projectile melee.

[Edit] All things will be made even if you give a Titan a upper cut melee that makes guardians do a backflip death sequence.

If Uncharted 4 taught me anything, it's that there is definitely a place for charged melees in gun-based multiplayer.

TWaB and Deej

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 14:58 (2918 days ago) @ Korny

I dunno, I find that Titans do have a few significant melee perks that the other classes don't.

Shoulder charge is a melee "perk" in that you can melee immediately after a shoulder charge, so if the charge doesn't kill the enemy, you've not only weakened them, you've closed ground extremely fast, putting the enemy in a vulnerable position faster than they expected it. Defender melee? You can get a recharging overshield (as opposed to the nerfed Warlock overshield). Sunbreaker melees make people vulnerable to a few shots (or simply cook them to death).

I agree that all of these abilities are useful. What bugs me is that none of these abilities win you a battle in just a melee fight.

I'm not touching shoulder charge cause of reasons listed here.

Disentigrate - Is great if you have the advantage on the first enemy and you get the last hit with your melee. I think this has happened once to me in PvP since I started playing Destiny. The only way to reliably use this ability is with exotic armor and a shotgun. That tells you something about that.

Sunstrike - Is great for getting kills, but it requires your death to do it. Any melee that requires damage over time to get a kill is a death sentence. And vulnerablility is great for bosses, nothing else. I actually love that ability for PvE. It is the only melee ability that feels like a Titan should be. It's worthless in PvP.

Stormfist - This melee is the only melee that I feel stands a chance against others. Mainly because it can almost one hit people which means that when a warlock gets extra shield, you actually have a chance to kill them on the second hit. The problem is, with warlock or backstab hunter range, titans always get hit first so they never have a chance to hit a second time unless the other player misses. It doesn't matter that Titans have faster melee.

I will say again that I like the melee abilities of Titans, but only in PvE. They seem useless in PvP.

Plus, all Titans got a decent melee lunge with the Titan tweaks.

I've never noticed this.

The only problem that I have with Titan melees is that it takes me a while to get used to the range difference, since they don't have a projectile melee.

I've been leveling up a Warlock for the main reason I want to be able to melee like I'm OP and whenever I switch from my Titan to the warlock I feel like I'm firing a gun and not using a melee.

If Uncharted 4 taught me anything, it's that there is definitely a place for charged melees in gun-based multiplayer.

This would be amazing. Actually, technically Titans already have this with shoulder charge. but I know what you mean :-)

TWaB and Deej

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 29, 2016, 15:31 (2918 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Sunstrike - Is great for getting kills, but it requires your death to do it. Any melee that requires damage over time to get a kill is a death sentence. And vulnerablility is great for bosses, nothing else. I actually love that ability for PvE. It is the only melee ability that feels like a Titan should be. It's worthless in PvP.

Worthless? I am so happy when, after I've been outfought in close quarters, I can punch the guy just before I die and know that he, too, is gonna eat it. Without Sunstrike, he'd walk away clean.

How can you call this 'worthless'?

It moves a straight loss to a tie, with almost no work!

(Not to mention the times when I get a drive-by punch in - I run past someone in a fight with one of my teammates, punch him, keep moving; he dies behind me, I'm on to other things.)

Sunstrike is one of my favorite things. Hunter tripmines are better... but Sunstrike ROCKS.

TWaB and Deej

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, April 29, 2016, 15:34 (2918 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Worthless? I am so happy when, after I've been outfought in close quarters, I can punch the guy just before I die and know that he, too, is gonna eat it. Without Sunstrike, he'd walk away clean.

How can you call this 'worthless'?

It moves a straight loss to a tie, with almost no work!

I agree that watching someone die and laughing at them is always entertaining. It's the whole dying first that thing that gets me :-P

(Not to mention the times when I get a drive-by punch in - I run past someone in a fight with one of my teammates, punch him, keep moving; he dies behind me, I'm on to other things.)

Sunstrike is one of my favorite things. Hunter tripmines are better... but Sunstrike ROCKS.

You must be REALLY good at running away, because I always get gunned down when I try this :-D

I hate sunstrike

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 29, 2016, 15:36 (2918 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I still haven't finished the Sunbreaker quest line because it's almost impossible to get a kill with sunstrike. I must be doing something wrong? If I get in melee range of anyone except another Titan, they hit me before I can hit them, then finish me off with their second melee and walk away unscathed. A sunstrike punch only ever kills someone if they already took damage from somewhere (or maybe if they have low armor).

In fact, I don't bother picking up the sunstrike bounty anymore because it takes me hours to complete it's so bad.

It's all about the sunspots

by Durandal, Friday, April 29, 2016, 15:41 (2918 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

When I did that challenge so many people died in my sunspots it was no issue. people tend not to notice they are standing in the flame and take that extra hit or two that finally downs them.

Also, i raged a little last night in IB when my hunter attacks point blank missed repeatedly. I really hope Bungie's fix works.

I hate sunstrike

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 29, 2016, 15:54 (2918 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I still haven't finished the Sunbreaker quest line because it's almost impossible to get a kill with sunstrike. I must be doing something wrong? If I get in melee range of anyone except another Titan, they hit me before I can hit them, then finish me off with their second melee and walk away unscathed. A sunstrike punch only ever kills someone if they already took damage from somewhere (or maybe if they have low armor).

This last line - yes. But one or two MIDA bullets, followed up by a Sunstrike, means death.

That's why I play striker

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 29, 2016, 16:31 (2918 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Screw damaging them first, just take them down! :)

Boosting, Bruh.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 04:27 (2918 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Get two friends, Year 1 Rumble and bam. That one will finish REAL quick. I had to do mine solo in Mayhem Rumble this week(you can still bring a fireteam in that one!), but if you've got people that will help, you can get it done MUCH easier. Thanks to Stabbim and Skul, that 25 Guardian kills with a sword bounty? For the Exotic Sword?

ONE MATCH.

I've already got the strike up for the Solar and Arc swords(lookin' your way, fellas!).

I'm up to help you with any of those, by the way. As Meatloaf once said, "But I won't do Trials."

So yeah, Mayhem if you're solo, Year 1 Rumble for a team.

Because seriously--how the hell does Bungie expect you to get thirty Radiance multi-kills?

Boosting, Bruh.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 08:11 (2918 days ago) @ Morpheus

I've already got the strike up for the Solar and Arc swords(lookin' your way, fellas!).

Me too. I've been sitting on the solar quest for a while, ready for the Sunless Cell part. How's your Sunday evening look? Anyone want to be a third?

Because seriously--how the hell does Bungie expect you to get thirty Radiance multi-kills?

lolwut

Boosting, Bruh.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 11:45 (2918 days ago) @ stabbim

Depending on what my schedule looks like (I should be free) I'd join ya. I have two incompleted sword quests.

Agh. Can't Do Sunday.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 19:58 (2917 days ago) @ stabbim

The earliest I can do is Tuesday...

Agh. Can't Do Sunday.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 02, 2016, 19:48 (2915 days ago) @ Morpheus

Tuesday's fine for me, I think. Breitzen?

:(

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, May 02, 2016, 23:56 (2915 days ago) @ stabbim

I got an assignment in KC tomorrow/Wednesday. So I'm out till Wednesday night.

:(

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 13:00 (2915 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

TWaB and Deej

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, April 29, 2016, 16:43 (2918 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

In a straight up punch fest the Titan seems to lose out the majority of the time. This should never be the case. The warlock shield punch on hit should be swapped with the defender shield on kill. This way it is a better compromise for the range issue. Same goes for void walker health gain vs strikers. Titans should get their bonus on hits, warlocks on kills.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread