I am sad re: hard mode cheese (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:38 (3401 days ago)

Someone who may or may not want to do the hard mode raid was suggesting that when we do it we cheese the bridge. I asked why and he said "Because otherwise we'll spend hours".

Isn't the whole point of playing on hard mode to challenge ourselves? That kind of sentiment makes me sad. Yes… we might spend hours figuring out how to conquer a challenge that is now hard again. You know, having fun.

:-(

Isn't the bridge section one of the easier parts?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:46 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Isn't the bridge section one of the easier parts?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:49 (3401 days ago) @ CyberKN

Yeah that's the thing… it's generally what gives us the least trouble.

I am sad re: hard mode cheese

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:02 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You guys couldn't hear my cries of objection, but the bridge is by far my favorite encounter in the game. Reducing it to a 5-minute exploit is not my idea of a good time :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:03 (3401 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You guys couldn't hear my cries of objection, but the bridge is by far my favorite encounter in the game. Reducing it to a 5-minute exploit is not my idea of a good time :)

Thank you :-)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:21 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I didn't even know it could still be cheesed?

by Kahzgul, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:30 (3400 days ago) @ someotherguy

Well, the "fix" that Bungie put in made it so that when you despawn the enemies, the sword bearer sticks around. You then need 1 person to take the sword and cross the bridge normally, and then kill the gate keeper. At that point, they need to run like hell because the ogres will spawn. Everyone else can just stand on towers out of the reach of the new sword bearer and snipe ogres until the encounter ends. It's not a 100% gimmie, but it's a 99% one, and a terrible fix. Why do the enemies despawn when you stand on a box? It makes no sense.

Regardless, I'm totally in agreement that the encounter is fun to beat legitimately. That being said, after I've beaten the thing legit a dozen or so times, but been screwed by the RNG, I'm grateful for a faster path to loot. Once you've proven that you can beat a thing, all you're doing after that is running it for loot, which is not fun.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, January 16, 2015, 13:01 (3400 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Well, the "fix" that Bungie put in made it so that when you despawn the enemies, the sword bearer sticks around.

the sword bearer always stuck around. what they did was make it to where someone had to cross the bridge to spawn the ogres. only you don't have to actually cross the bridge, you can cross the chasm where the bridge would be if it were built.

I am sad re: all cheeses

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:33 (3400 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Isn't the whole point of playing on hard mode to challenge ourselves? That kind of sentiment makes me sad. Yes… we might spend hours figuring out how to conquer a challenge that is now hard again. You know, having fun.

For the same reasons. When I find a group on DestinyLFG, I always post "no cheese" in my info. Helps weed out those with… different… priorities.

Cuts both ways, though… Last night we did VoG Hard and sniped the Oracles/Templar section. I feel bad every time we do it because it feels like I'm cheating, but we went that route because one of our group hadn't done Hard mode before, and another hadn't even done a Vault run of any kind. We had limited time and we expected the Gatekeeper/Atheon stuff to be rough. As it turned out, though, we breezed through the Gatekeepers on our first try and had Atheon down within a handful of attempts. We definitely could have tried Oracles/Templar "legit" a few times. :-\

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:42 (3400 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What are you, some kind of Communist? Time is money, Cody. Time is money.

I threw the peanut.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:50 (3400 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You conveniently left out why I said that we should do the cheese. It was only because you were wanting to start late, and due to work priorities, I didn't want to take five hours running the raid, especially with your superpower of finding new ways to cause wipes...

You said that we could run a raid much earlier, cheese-free, and I was all for it.

It's not so much about "time" as it is about "timing".

I like fun.

Worst superpower ever :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:40 (3400 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I threw the peanut.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 13:04 (3400 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, January 16, 2015, 13:20

You said that we could run a raid much earlier, cheese-free, and I was all for it.

LOL. Oh damn. I just realized I'm going to be gone from tuesday to sunday that week! The earliest I can run hard mode is sunday! Let me know how it goes guys. Unless the hotel has internet, but I don't think I'm gonna want to spend the time playing videogames.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, January 16, 2015, 16:15 (3400 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Vortech, Friday, January 16, 2015, 16:18

now that I read the rest of the thread this is not the case here but it's still all true:

Some of the people play this game to get things done. The method is irrelevant. I assume for most of them they don't like the game they just like achievement or finishing goals. I saw the same thing way back when I played Everquest.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 19:39 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Challenging ourselves is one thing, dying over and over with everything you've got for hours is another.

I'm now aware of my previous mistakes, but let's take the Battle with Crota, or the Deathsingers for example. When the 6 of you are going through with fully maxed out armor, and you're still getting one-hit killed, and no matter what strategy you devise, it always falls apart. Morale drops quickly. Watching the Hive taunt us through our death cameras infuriates us. We fight. We lose. We fight. We lose. Hours pass. People are tired, pissed off, hungry and feeling hopeless that we can't finish it, and stupid that so many people are--by themselves. The good time we're having quickly dissolves into anger and resentment(and blame). Now, instead of trying to have fun, you're just hoping to get it over with so you can never play it again. Challenging is fun--"impossibility" is not.

Another silly thing about Raid Challenge Levels

by Kahzgul, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 12:26 (3398 days ago) @ Morpheus

The more you play the raid, the easier it gets because of how much more powerful you are with Raid gear. This is a problem in all MMOs, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather see the raid drop only prestige items such as shaders, ships emblems, and sparrows, and have all of the best gear to take into the raid be earnable outside of it (from several different sources).

Right now, the whole raid design is aimed towards teaching people that the biggest challenge is doing it the first time, and that after that the only reason to come back is for loot, not additional challenges.

I'll grant that the bonus chests are nice additions to encourage more advanced play, but are we aware of any bonus chests in Crota's End aside from the gauntlet race one?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, January 18, 2015, 16:47 (3398 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'll grant that the bonus chests are nice additions to encourage more advanced play, but are we aware of any bonus chests in Crota's End aside from the gauntlet race one?

There are two chests on the Labyrinth and the one at the end of the gauntlet, AFAIK.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, January 19, 2015, 06:34 (3398 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The more you play the raid, the easier it gets because of how much more powerful you are with Raid gear. This is a problem in all MMOs, as far as I'm concerned.

I've completed the Vault of Glass about a dozen times. And other than Praeydyth's Revenge--an Oracle Killer for which I am truly grateful--I got two useless Found Verdicts and nothing else. That's right. Even after completing Vault of Glass in the double digits, some from beginning, some from Atheon, I never got a single piece of armor.

I got Chatterwhite, though.

Now for Crota, I got Deathsinger's Herald and Grip, but those are both very minor armor improvements--and still get me killed in one hit. I guess I have to do Hard Mode in order to get some actual gear, instead of stuff you can mostly buy.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread