So, about that thread the other day? (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 21:09 (3397 days ago)
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 21:12

Yeah, you know the one. Where I was a bit of an ass? Been mulling over in my brain what made me so upset.

Here's BeardFade's post for your review, if needed.

Decided not to take a issue with a single thing in there, primarily in the interest of getting to the bottom of my cognitive dissonance. Here's what I came up with: that post describes a situation that reveals an aspect (maybe the whole?) of Destiny really, really well.

I like to think of myself as a person that does things for the sake of them. Not in the interest of some kind of... economic benefit? Profit? Personal enrichment, sure. But I dislike the idea of pursuing something so crass as... well... money (or glimmer or whatever it is you accumulate in Destiny to buy things) in order to achieve satisfaction or happiness or what have you. I value experiences, memories, and the people I share them with. Or that's what I aspire to, anyway.

I think my poor reaction is a reflection of another part of my life right now, my job, where I feel part of a machine that condones very wasteful, stupid, and harmful behavior. It's financial in nature, where the economics of things is pretty paramount. Life is hard when you feel your purpose, your vocation, is a net loss for the people you care about.

Then you see it show up in your hobby, scream IS NOTHING SACRED?! and act the fool.

So, what's the lesson here for me? Make decisions to fix what's wrong (which I am, interview in Cleveland (my home) on Thursday!). As far as Destiny (or any other hobby) is concerned do what I want and have fun doing it. If I'm not having fun, go do something else. It's cool, and I shouldn't look at any lack of enjoyment as a reflection of other things in my life I may not like right now.

Oh, and Nathan Fillion gifs are really good at calming the Phisto rage.

+1

by ckamp, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 22:09 (3397 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Let the "+" inflation continue...

I appreciate self-reflection and Nathan Fillion. Macphisto references don't hurt either. All in all, this was a good run.

Nathan Fillion FTW

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 22:22 (3397 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I hear you on being a cog in a machine. I know I've felt it and I'm sure others here have as well. I, too, actually don't like that aspect of life either (I have a major gripe with the term "human resources"). That being said, I'm pretty realistic as a person as well, which showed up the other day. Sorry to be some part of this.

That being said, best of luck in your interview. Kick ass!

Nathan Fillion FTW

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 06:22 (3397 days ago) @ BeardFade

Don't be sorry! It's been mad beneficial. And thanks!

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 06:55 (3397 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yeah, you know the one. Where I was a bit of an ass? Been mulling over in my brain what made me so upset.

Oh, and Nathan Fillion gifs are really good at calming the Phisto rage.

[image]

I think it's safe to say that everyone has a day where shit seems to stink just abit more. Don't sweat it.

This post you've made here? Tis' pretty cool.

[image]

See you starside.

----
[image]

So, about that thread the other day?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 17:39 (3396 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Identifying the real source of anger is hard work--most people don't do it, but I think it's probably a marker for true maturity. Regardless, that was a courageous post. Good luck following your bliss, friend.

So, about that thread the other day?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 20:15 (3396 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks, Kermit. That means a lot. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread