End-game activities and light level (Off-Topic)

by Robot Chickens, Monday, February 29, 2016, 21:01 (3006 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Except now the damage values of the weapon drops are random as well, so even if you get the gun you want with the perks you want, it might have a lower attack level than you want, so you'll need to get lucky with other drops in order to "infuse" it up to a higher damage level.

Light level doesn't matter quite as much in the end-game activities. Sure, higher is better. But the degree of how much better has been scaled.

Honestly, I don't find the difference between 314 and 317 compelling enough to alter my preferred aesthetics when I play. There is a comfortable range of light that is able to compete well in pretty much all activities. I just played IB with a range of characters from 300 to 318. I didn't really notice a huge difference in the outcomes of each match.

As such, I view getting the higher light as something fun to chase, but I never feel like I have to have it to be playing destiny correctly. I get wanting to be a 320. But I don't get the feeling that some have that it isn't fun unless every drop brings you closer to 320. The math of that particular treadmill ensures that you will be more angry/frustrated the longer you play. Bungie freed us from that with TTK.

That being said. We need to have something like etheric light drop again, even if it capped at 315 or something. That was the best thing Destiny did to its loot system. Suddenly, everything was a viable choice. Old raid weapons were fun to bring on new activities. Sure it probably makes weapon balance harder to juggle (with so many options), but I'm not convinced we have a better pool of weapons now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread