Nintendo? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 20, 2016, 15:25 (2906 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm not so sure. Nintendo is fully aware that lack of 3rd party support hurts them.

Does it, though?

I feel like it's too little, too late for Nintendo. I don't see many people jumping ship from PS4 or Xbox One just because Nintendo finally pulled its head out of its ass and decided to make a console that has some sort of parity with the other two after more than a decade. But we still don't even actually know what the NX is, so maybe that's not even true.

I still wish they'd just go the Sega route and stop making consoles and become a publisher. I want to play the new Zelda, but not enough that I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars on a console.

In the long run, yes it does IMO. The complete lack of 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles turns them into a great choice for someone's 2nd console, but rarely do they win the "if I can only pick 1 console" battle. Back in the N64 days, they had just enough 3rd party support to bolster their phenomenal 1st and 2nd party lineups and do quite well overall. The Wii was lightning in a bottle for a couple years, but the floor fell out from under them quite quickly there. And the Wii-U has been a pretty clear failure. Their 1st party lineup isn't as stellar as it once was, and they don't have in-their-prime Rare to back them up anymore. They need strong 3rd party support if they ever want to convince the larger gamer market to buy an NX instead of a PS4 or Xbox.

I guess that's sort of my point. I think it's too late for them to do that. 40 million people already own PS4s, and nearly half as many own Xbox Ones. I don't see many making the jump to NX over a PS4 Neo at this point, because Nintendo has such a terrible track record at this point. The N64 was the last console they had that was even close to having parity with the other consoles. The Gamecube was okay--it at least had 3rd party games, even if they were sub-par ports compared to their PS2 and Xbox versions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread