Civ 6: First Impressions (Gaming)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 24, 2016, 18:57 (2743 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Monday, October 24, 2016, 19:04

Wow what a game. Graphics, sound, everything comes together so very very well. The new visual presentation of the Wonders is honestly breathtaking. Gosh there's a lot to learn and/or do. Germany is fun to play (Hansa ftw) and the rest seem super interesting one way or another.

Anyone else pick this up? Literally played it all weekend and it was a total joy. :)

I've always been a bit sad that I've never really tired any of the Civ games. Mostly because I haven't really had a modern computer... like ever? It's always nice to hear that a new game in a series hold up to experience players' expectations. I don't suppose any of these run on my iPad Pro?

As far as PCs go, Civilization tends to be pretty gentle, especially if you play 4 and 6 player maps. Dunno your personal situation, but a powerful PC is not a requirement whatsoever.

EDIT: Also, some real talk. All the Beyond Earth haters get bent - Civ 6 doesn't exist without it, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Given that I don't know much of anything about the series, could you expand a little there? Beyond Earth was CIV IN SPACE or something, yes? What did Beyond Earth do for Civ 6? Did it give it a new game engine? Did it provide the funding needed to complete Civ 6? I guess as a gamer I'm just curious by what you meant here... even though there's a chance its specific gameplay features that might go over my head.

I'll try to explain best I can because the thoughts are still forming in my head.

Between Civ 5 and Civ 6 there was Civ: Beyond Earth. Yes, very much Civ in Space and billed somewhat as a "spiritual successor" to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri which was Civ 1 in Space but really really really awesome. Like, Landmark Awesome.

Follow me so far?

To many, Civ Beyond Earth was a massive let down (even Firaxis admits they didn't really accomplish all they could have). Many felt it didn't change the Civ formula enough to really be something special, and with it not borrowing from history to set the scene like Civ does it was hard to really love it like other Civ games. There's fighting freaking Napoleon and then there's fighting some vaguely Russian dude in space. Get my drift?

BUT here's what I see in Civ 6 that had it's genesis in Civ Beyond Earth.

In Civ Beyond Earth you could very much craft a civilization. High minded metaphors aside, think of the start of the game like a sculptor, the map, mechanics, theme, all a giant rock with which you will chisel a work of art. I made some *cool* space-civs; technocratic post scarcity wonders that I'd hope would earn even a head nod from Iain Banks.

There was also really cool archaeology and mini-quest mechanics that gave real flavor to your growth. Made each game unique.

Now fast forward to Civ 6, these developments in Civ Beyond Earth are now more advanced and integrated than what I saw in Beyond Earth. Firaxis were lambasted for not taking chances on Civ Beyond Earth, so now Civ has grown into something really special (well, again haha). How special? Dunno, it's early yet, but check it out:

My friend and I played games as Germany this weekend. I made a technocratic powerhouse of industry and commerce, dominating its home content with the fruits of the industrial and scientific revolutions. He took Germany into a cultural renaissance, eventually colonizing a group of islands and turning them into a tourist paradise unlike anything the world had seen.

Two different experiences from the same raw materials. Two different stories that honestly, weren't available in the same way they were in the previous Civs.

And they have Civ Beyond Earth to thank. :)

(BTW I loved Civ Beyond Earth, but, I like seeing how the sausage is made.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread