I'm loving it. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 02:22 (2743 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've only ever played Civilization 5 before, so I don't have a lot of experience with the series.

A few random thoughts (I've yet to even make it much past Medieval Era, even though I've started several games).

-I like the new look. As my other post said, I just think it's a much more clear presentation. And I love the hand-drawn map look. It's lovely. I really like the look of the leaders, too. I know they're cartoonish, but they look fantastic.

-I like the new Wonder animations, but I also sort of miss the paintings from Civ 5.

-Sean Bean is obviously great (even though he sounds bored half the time), but the quotes are . . . weird, at the very least. I'm okay with trying to add some humor, but I'd have liked to see more serious quotes.

-Still getting used to it, but game speed seems weird. I feel like I can't build things at anywhere near the same rate I could in Civ 5. I suspect a lot of that will come with really learning the districts and optimizing for whatever you need/want to produce. In Civ 5, it seems like you could basically just build whatever you wanted whenever you wanted, for the most part. In Civ 6, you really need to figure out your goals and prioritize and build the correct districts.

-Speaking of districts: What's the cost scaling? I haven't figured it out completely, but it seems like for every district you build, the cost for the next one gets higher. I haven't paid enough attention to figure out if it's just per district or per district type.

-Cleopatra is a bitch. Seriously, every single game, she gives me about twelve turns and then denounces me for being weak. Like damn, I've literally had enough time to build a single unit.

-I like the envoy system. Adds some more depth to City-States, which is nice. I also like the card system for governments, even though I feel like I won't use a lot of them.

-FOR GOD'S SAKE, HOW DO I TURN OFF AUTO UNIT CYCLING? It's so goddamn annoying, and it's screwed me over so many times, but I can't find an option anywhere.

Overall, I'm really digging it. There's some small issues here and there, but there's so much to like about it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread