Neither of them look good to me ;) (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 14:38 (2549 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's this guitar company called "Collings" out of Texas... they make very high-end, hand-made acoustic and electric guitars. Most of their guitars sell for $3500-$6000 USD. Incredible instruments. Some of the very best guitars ever made.

Collings recently launched a sub-brand called "Waterloo". The guitars they build under this label are recreations of some of the off-brand acoustics built in the 1930s. Like all of Collings' guitars, these Waterloo models are flawlessly built, with a painstaking attention to detail. The problem is that the 1930s guitars that the Waterloos are replicating were without a doubt some of the worst sounding guitars ever made. They were cheap, bargain bin instruments back in the day... and now you can buy a perfect recreation of those lousy instruments for almost $3000 USD. Sounds a bit silly, right?

That's exactly how I feel about the painstaking lengths people go through in order to play vintage video games in their original state. I certainly don't begrudge anyone for enjoying old games... I just seem to be missing the part of my brain that can find any appeal to it. They look bad, sound bad, and play worse than modern games. I loved them growing up because it was all I had... but video games today are so much better in every conceivable way. I'm all for nostalgia, but the quality gap between retro games and modern games is so severe that even nostalgia doesn't generate any interest for me in ever playing those games again.

All that said, I do appreciate the need to preserve retro games, purely from an archival point of view.

Again, don't mean to sound judgemental of anyone who does enjoy retro games. They just have zero appeal for me personally.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread