Duh. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 23:43 (2421 days ago) @ Funkmon

I know I wasn't the only one saying it, but people literally made fun of me for saying this crap, and it continues to hold true. The PvP balancing, the removal of the grind, the lack of randomness, it literally makes the game worse.

Uh no. The removal of the grind and randomness made the game way better.

This is a great example of internet people, and likely Bungie listening to them, making the game worse.

"DAE hate grinding?" Bingle removes guns good enough to grind for.

In making guns easier to get, Bungie had to nerf them and remove god rolls. In balancing the game for crucible whiners, Bungie had to remove any character of the guns. To make public events more interesting more often, they have to make them obnoxious.

Good guns would harm a game like Destiny. If guns are randomly acquired, then you do not know how powerful a player's arsenal will be when they face a challenge. So you either you balance stuff around the good guns, which would make not having them suck, or you don't, which makes having them a breeze. The only way to do this is if there are fewer, more diverse guns acquired in predicable ways, so you can tailor challenges around mastering and exploiting them all. You can't do that if there's a chance your player will never get the gun!

You are in some sense correct, but only because Bungie only went half way with the fix. The solution is no random acquisition of guns at all. Then you can design 'God Roll' guns, that are godlike in specific circumstances, or while playing on a razor thin edge, and design your campaign around this.

Anything that moves the game away from avatar power towards player skill and knowledge is a plus. This doesn't mean you cannot power up your avatar; it just means you have to do it in defined and repeatable ways.

The game gets worse and worse and worse in terms of what you're actually doing. Every single patch from 1.0 to now, including Destiny 2, with the exception of HOW shotgun buff, has literally made the gameplay worse.

Define 'gameplay'. You need to be specific.

Destiny 2 is great, arguably a better game than Destiny 1, and I love how much stuff there is, and the 30 seconds of fun is still better than any other game. It's just getting worse.

How can it be a better game, yet getting worse?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread