Article makes a very good point (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:33 (2425 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The truth is that, while much has been made of Destiny’s fusion of the first-person shooter with the MMO, as an MMO, it’s woefully lacking in meaningful social interaction. Without building this in, the leap they expect you to make comes incongruously. There’s no economy to participate in, no plots to launch against other groups. You can’t help a friend out in a pinch or ruin an enemy’s day ... Its social hubs contain no actual social activity, but rather dozens of sometimes-translucent avatars sprinting about their various errands. ... The game is less a social platform than it is a beautifully designed argument in favor of being antisocial.

What the author is really upset about is that they don't have a crew dedicated enough to raid, and probably don't have that dedication themselves. But it's a great point that if you don't already have a dedicated crew, you're probably not going to build one just by playing Destiny.

True. I will always be a proponent of no matchmaking in Destiny's raids.

But on the specific issue of checkpoint resets, Bungie is needlessly making it harder for people, with no benefit to everyone else. Not having matchmaking provides such a clear benefit in the form of challenges in the activity. But resetting your checkpoint on Tuesday? That provides no benefit to anyone whatsoever, and does screw some people over.

There's an argument to be made for the idea that a weekly reset acts as a bit of a motivating factor. And sometimes, that's not a bad thing when it comes to a group activity. Maybe without resets it would be too easy for groups to put it off, get distracted, and then fizzle out.

But I don't know if that possible benefit outweighs the downsides. I'm just thinking out loud.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread