Linear time and Paracausal Forces (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 11:01 (2357 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm sorry, what?

What stories do you know of that only demonstrate character change after the conflict is resolved? That's like saying Luke doesn't have enough time to change during A New Hope and we should only expect character development after he's blown up the Death Star. It just doesn't make sense.

Destiny 2 almost completely failed in that department. Zavala is the only argument I can see against that, and then only slightly. Zavala struggles to figure out what he is without Light, even going as far as to task if he's still a Guardian. He determines that yes, he is, and goes on to fight to take back the city, as much a Guardian as he ever was. But even that is the barest of character arcs. And even then, he doesn't change at all from how we knew him in Destiny 1--it's just a story about the return to the status quo.

I hope we see better with The Curse of Osiris, but I'm not all that optimistic. I don't think we'll ever see more than gestures at a real story within the Destiny universe.

I'm not sure Destiny needs more than that, at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread