I don't know if this one will die. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 05, 2018, 16:28 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

If you have ever heard BOLL talk about it it's like he doesn't even play normal games. There are a lot of trends loved by nerds and early appears that never find their way into popular culture, but some things, like Pokemon cards, backgammon, podcasting, stuff like that, has never gone away and everyone likes them.

Maybe this will be one of those.

It won't go away. There are too many practical uses. Just today I had a conversation with someone regarding how Van Gogh paintings are so much better in real life. Once VR can faithfully recreate 3-D depth perception, virtual experiences will take off, mark my words.

You’re right, but I’m not convinced it’ll be the primary way to play games. Not for a long time. The tech is cool and fun, but it’s not something even the best experiences make me want to do for long periods of time. Add to that that many of the games you can play in VR are half-assed or just downright awful.

I don’t know. VR isn’t exactly thriving. It needs a really big win to get folks actually excited for it. I can’t remember which podcast it was (I think it was Waypoint, but maybe not) talked about how stuff covering VR gets basically no traffic. People just don’t care.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread