I don't know if this one will die. (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 12:59 (2251 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It won't go away. There are too many practical uses. Just today I had a conversation with someone regarding how Van Gogh paintings are so much better in real life. Once VR can faithfully recreate 3-D depth perception, virtual experiences will take off, mark my words.

Uh, can't it already? There's a reason why it has a screen for each eye… depth perception should be mathematically perfect.

Fair point, and that got me thinking of what depth perception in VR lacks, which is the ability for you to naturally change the focal point. This reminded me of Lytro cameras and light field photography. I'd like to be able to see this. I can imagine technology that could change the focal point on the fly based on changes detected in your eyes, but that will probably be further down the road.

In the shorter term resolution and detail will certainly be ratcheted up, and VR experiences' popularity will increase as this happens.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread