The soft cap is bad system. (Criticism)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 23, 2018, 08:33 (2110 days ago) @ Vortech

The soft cap is ostensibly designed to keep the community leveling together. I’d argue it does the opposite of that. Miss a week, and you fall behind with literally no way to catch up. It sucks.

Why is there no way to catch up?

If you fall behind a week, you’ll be behind by a week until everyone hits max level. If you fall behind farther than that, it will take even more time to catch up. I’m at 366 right now. I’ve played enough in terms of sheer time to probably be close to max, but I have t played the exact way Bungie thinks I should, so I’m stuck in a slow progression every week.

It’s not the end of the world, I’ll get there eventually. I spent last night going through part of the Sturm/Drang quest because stabbim convinced me it was worth it. That’s not helpful to my level, but it was fun, but in terms of progressing, it was a complete waste of two hours. That’s bad design, in my opinion. For a game that’s ostensibly about having fun and playing the way you want, the game is awfully restrictive in terms of actually making progress after the soft cap.

I mostly don’t mind too much. As much as it may not seem like it, I’ve truly become content with the way I play Destiny, and doing what I want while slowly making progress where ever I will. I have tons of fun just fucking around in that game while making zero progress towards leveling up. Part of it is Moments of Triumph coming up, and needing to rush to get stuff done. I won’t be heartbroken if I don’t get it, but I want that shirt.

I’ll admit that spending too much time on reddit over the weekend got me riled up about this particular issue. Too many folks arguing that Whisper is special because you have to wait four a random chance to even start the quest, that people like me don’t even deserve it because I haven’t put in my time, and I clearly don’t really care because if I did I’d obviously be at max level already.

Why is it so hard for Bungie to understand that I want to experience the best content in Destiny too, without having to treat it like a second job?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread