You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. :) (Criticism)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 23:47 (2108 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think you make a really great point here:

The Power Level / Light Level system has been a huge success in terms of not too badly unbalancing the game between people who play a lot and people who don’t.

This is actually one of the things that Destiny has done better than most games with major online components that aren't designed to be flat. As it stands in Des2ny, there is an overall 70 power level variance in play, regarding PvE. If 0 = PvE Combatant power level. -50 is the point at which damage is ignored because you are too under powered. At +20* you stop gaining additional benefits for having a higher power level over the PvE Combatants.

This is a huge level of variance where lower powered players can still contribute in many situations (albeit I do not find most content to be enjoyable that substantially underleveled myself) while not allowing higher power players to completely outclass content they may be playing with friends of lower power levels. Playing a strike with a new player who is in the ballpark of 100 light compared to the 140 suggested for regular strikes means that even a 385 Guardian will only be functionally 160.

I love that this aspect of the system encourages playing together rather than more traditional games which simply encouraged boosting.

*I don't have a source handy, but do believe it was from a recent twitter discussion.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread