That cringeworthy Shoulder charge at the end... (Destiny)

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 06:51 (2033 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I would argue that shoulder charge takes more planning and foresight and throwing knives takes more aiming skill. They are independent skills. But to say that shoulder charge takes no skill is not fair at all. I'm not saying that is what you are saying, but I get the feeling that is what you are implying. Also, both skills can be dodged, but at least you can shoot a shoulder charger. All you can do for a knife is hope that it's not in line with your face.

I'll take the hit, its exactly what I am saying. Prove me wrong if I am. No harm, seriously.

I like an honest man :D

Take someone who has never played a game, they would get more kills with shoulder charge than they would with throwing knives hands down. How is that not related to skill. I don't think that is far fetched to say.

I would argue that shoulder charge is more effective at lower skill levels and inversely for throwing knives. The reason I say that is because of how high risk shoulder charge is compared to throwing knives. You have to commit with a shoulder charge. If you fail a shoulder charge you are dead. If you aren't then you are fighting someone who sucks. You can throw a knife and hide around a corner. The risk is far less.

So, from you example, yes an inexperienced person would get more kills.

As far as the planning, you are going to sprint anyway. Not all the time, but enough to where you are ready for a shoulder charge just by playing normally. Everyone that has played titan has got kills by just sprinting and then some random enemy walks out in front and they hit the melee button for an easy panic kill.

From this description, it makes it sound like the people are completely oblivious to the motion tracker. I feel like it's totally possible for people to be oblivious of enemies approaching them, but again this is why I mention skill level of the opponent. I feel like almost every time I get shoulder charged I deserved it. I was out of place or not prepared.

Let me also mention that if you are sprinting and someone has a line of sight on you, you are dead 80% of the time. That is why people don't sprint all the time.

The number of throwing knife kills by PLANNED throws is definitely far less than panic shoulder charge. Maybe thats my issue with it. Or maybe I'm just a salty hunter, sorry if that is the case!

Well, this comes back to the comparing 1 to 1. We know that knives can't one hit. But if we are saying just "scoring a hit" then we can do better comparison. As for planning. How often do you see someone on the tracker and your next move is planned around throwing your knife? Or if you see someone and then duck to cover and then think about your next moves based around your knife? I know this is kinda hard to think about because as we have mentioned, they aren't OHKs.

I guess I feel like with a knife, you either lead with it or finish someone with it. Does that take skill? Totally! Does it take planning and foresight? Not in my mind. Shoulder charge has rarely ever been a "in the moment" strategy. It has always been a flanking, planned charging into someone ranks and secretly to keep from getting gunned down. In very few cases at close range I will try and get up to sprinting speed and circle around in hopes of hitting someone before I'm gunned down. More often it is me running away and turning a corner to try and turn around to turn the tide of a fight. All these scenarios take way more than "I hit a button because I panicked" Can you sprint around the map all the time and get random kills from running into people? Yeah! But more often than not against halfway decent players, you are going to be gunned down 80% of the time in my experience.

I don't have any numbers or figures to support this, these are the ramblings of a madman. But I'm sure enough of us can easily say they have been killed more by shoulder charge. And its not because of all the "skilled" titans out there.

Indeed. These are all my experiences from playing a LOT of titan hours in many varied levels of experience.

Thanks for the well written response. I enjoy healthy conversations.

I did some processing last night with everyones input, Thanks everyone!

Seeing the risk/reward side, and level of commitment needed to shoulder charge I will concede its closer balanced than I rambled about yesterday.

I still believe hunter throwing knife could benefit from a buff to bring it closer to the other classes. Having to use a knife, dodge, and another knife to get a kill seems a little unfair when you lose your abilities hit or miss, and you have a larger room for error.

Too bad theres no crossplay, we could private match together and do some in game testing of our own. I wish I had the patience to do what Korny does with the videos.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread