Look at Blizzcon (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 05, 2018, 10:43 (2006 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Usually the entitled group is made up of “that guys” and are self professed fans of things. This walks hand-in-hand with gatekeeping because if you are not like them you must not be a real fan. So the moment you make an accessible product not catering to their desires then you done goofed and the vitriol will spill.

This was my biggest failing years ago, focusing on 'hardcore' games that offered challenge and depth and decrying everything else. The truth is that casual games are fine, and challenge is absolutely not the only way to create an immersive experience. People who play casual games are real 'gamers' or whatever you want to say. It was wrong and I was wrong.

The issue now is of the game design itself becoming abusive, exploitative, or jumping on trends with no real regard for how those trends impact quality. Let's face it, mobile games by their very nature have so many fundamental problems, at least I would argue. So choosing to make an AAA game for mobile is in my opinion a colossal waste creatively. So I can understand the disappointment, because those resources could have made a better game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread