It's a part of being a citizen of something (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:59 (2005 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You have to own what you're supporting and be aware of its context. Your voice is not in a vacuum, and you should be mindful of who and what will be emboldened by it.

I absolutely own what I am supporting. I’m not going to own what you claim I’m supporting, because it’s BS. I’ve already said that bad online behaviour is BAD, and inexcusable, and needs to stop. You’re drawing false borders around groups that aren’t actually connected to each other, and you’re not a knowledging it.

Movements like Gamergate and Comicsgate take advantage of patsies who aren't aware of what they're actually supporting and end up as fuel for radical hatred.

Both sides do that. Lucasfilm keeps trying to dismiss all criticism of The Last Jedi by saying it’s nothing but the rantings of sexist man-children, and suddenly anyone who criticizes the movie is accused of being sexist. What I’m proposing is that none of the drama is as big a deal or as big a part of the general population as some would have us believe. I say that because if you just stop paying attention to Twitter, it all goes away. You can still go to forums, YouTube, review and media platforms, and find plenty of disagreement, but it’s largely in good faith and semi-respectful (often not to the degree that I’d prefer).

The harassment campaigns are terrible, and I wish Twitter would be smarter about addressing them. But again, if you just don’t look at Twitter...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread