Sorry, but I'm still on the fence.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 18, 2013, 19:14 (4074 days ago) @ Hedge

From the article:

We need our video game worlds to be constant and endless, not thrown out in eight hour chunks every two years.

This is where I disagree, and why Destiny does not personally interest me. This is not to say that it will be a bad game, but just one that I don't really care to play.

I want to be able to turn off a game, and when I return have the world be as a left it. That is my personal preference. I want my life to dictate when I play games, not what's happening in the game world to dictate when I'll be playing. I do not want to have to worry about whether or not something is happening in the world that I'm missing, because I'm doing something in real life.

This is why the social aspect turns me off greatly, since it's anti-social in a way, encouraging interaction through abstraction rather than actual exchanges. You're sitting at home on a couch alone. Will Destiny offer split screen play? Or will you have to bring Xboxes together to play in person? Why would you do this when the game is telling you to just play online, encouraging you with the 'always connected' moniker?

We're already at at a point where our virtual social interactions and the image we project of ourselves is becoming more real than the actual thing. What are your friends doing on facebook? Oh wow! Look how cool John is!

I'm reminded of Baudrillard when he wrote of the paradoxical implications of being constantly connected. On one hand, you're everywhere. You can talk to anybody you want, pull down whatever information you desire. But at the same time, you're nowhere, because every computer terminal has access to the same data as every other one, so your physical location is no longer special or unique.

I enjoy social aspects of games when they grow from people who love the game, not social aspects that are designed to be part of the game. I don't know if this makes any sense, but this is what turns me off most about Destiny.

IN MY OPINION OF COURSE

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread