Does this actually address anything? (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Monday, July 07, 2014, 16:47 (3588 days ago) @ DeeJ

I’m afraid that I can’t sit by and let this pass without remark.

You talk about how ‘being a Bungie fan has always demanded a constant and painful state of evolution’, and go on to talk about the transition from Mac to Xbox, but this is unrelated to the complaints people are posting today. Arguably, saying that being a fan demands tolerance of painful evolution could be a rationale for excusing nearly any kind of egregious behaviour. The platform transition to Xbox was undoubtedly contentious, but it was also clearly beneficial for gamers. What benefit to gamers (other than those on the preferred platform) do platform exclusives bestow? Clearly there was a beneficiary, but most likely it was Activision.

That's what we talk about within our walls - every day. We talk about you. We look to our community for the truth about what we've created.

I hope this is the truth and if so, I hope you’re having a long hard conversation about how you approach this kind of stuff in the future. The games industry has for a number of years now been steadily embracing consumer-hostile practices, with manifestly scaled-back products shipped as a vehicle for paid DLC, in-app purchases and other schemes designed to milk a captive audience for every last penny. It’s hard to believe that Bungie has been ignorant to the conversations and arguments going on about this stuff in the wider gaming community, so it’s equally baffling that you could so misjudge what your loyal fans actually want.

If this post is the sum total of your response to today’s reaction then it’ll demonstrate that that is all you think it warrants. Prove me wrong and show that Bungie cares about its customers more than providing shareholder value to Activision.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread