Happy Bungie Day, Bungie.org (Destiny)

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, July 07, 2014, 18:16 (3588 days ago) @ DeeJ

I am a product of this community. This community is a product of Bungie games. The symbiosis runs deep. The roots are old. Bungie the Developers and Bungie the Community are inseparable. Always have been.

Being a Bungie fan has always demanded a constant and painful state of evolution. This company has endured for a long time as a moving target in a highly competitive landscape. Partnerships morph. Sandboxes evolve. Firing patterns change. Like a shark, we swim to survive. From generation to generation, Bungie fans have been challenged to do the same.

If you can remember debates about the best iteration of a pistol or what it was like to buy your first Microsoft product after a long career as an Apple gamer, you know what's it’s like to be a Bungie fan - to put the creators before the device, or any one game. There are people on this forum who can recount that storied campaign better than I.

We make games. Every ounce of our energy is immersed in developing something that will delight your imagination and quicken your pulse. That's what we talk about within our walls - every day. We talk about you. We look to our community for the truth about what we've created. With everything that might seem different, there are some essential things that have not changed.

Destiny will be more inclusive than anything we've ever made. We're reaching out to more gamers than ever before. We'll relate to each of them as Guardians. We will care deeply about each of them. On Bungie.net, you will all be equal.

So, Happy Bungie Day. Hope to see you in the Tower.

Thanks for stopping by and providing some kind words, DeeJ.

In truth, I'm not exactly sure how to feel about all of this. My initial reaction was anger at the duration of the exclusive content and the perceived shortening of my beta experience. And not due to some feeling of entitlement because "I've been loyal to you for 10 years!". Nothing like that.

Maybe it's because I feel like I've been very patiently waiting for this wonderful thing called Destiny for what seems like eons now. Scouring weekly updates, videos, and press releases for every scrap of info. Yearning to know more. Then, hearing that there will be a beta, all that penned up anticipation feels like it will have an outlet. And soon. Lo and behold, one day we find out that a section of the community gets to play an Alpha. Not a huge deal because we at least get a good look at what Destiny is/will be. I still have that beta to hang on to. Then, on the most exciting Bungie day of recent memory, we know that we are about to get that sweet info we've been craving and finally learn the Beta date. And when we do - BAM - it looks like we get about half the awesome that others do. So, first instinct was to be angry. Now, I'm kinda sad and don't really know what to think. I'm very grateful for the ability to play the Beta for free. I truly am. I'm just confused and a bit hurt about it all. As misguided or wrong as that may be, it's how I feel.

But having said all that, I'm still in it for Destiny. I'm quite sure it'll be an amazing game, and I'll gladly spend as much time as I'm allowed in the Beta. So, as unsure as I am of how to feel, I look forward to Destiny. Thanks for all of your hard work - good times are ahead.

- CC Xbox gamer

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread