This is pretty much where I stand. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, July 08, 2014, 05:59 (3588 days ago) @ Kermit

Today we complain about no cross-platform play. Maybe Destiny is the groundwork for a new landscape where that is possible. Regardless, a large audience, even if segmented, gives Bungie leverage, and because I trust that Bungie cares primarily about games and gamers, I think they'll act with integrity about the stuff that really matters.

This is my hope. My only two considerations for the new generation of consoles have been whether I like the controller and where my friends (mainly this community) will be. If cross-platform is truly a future possibility, I could care less about platform exclusivity or anything else that's been griped about.

RE: Acting with integrity; we're talking about the same Bungie that redistributed Myth II in the wake of that fatal drive-wiping bug. The same entity that made DLC for Halo 2 free after a certain period so as not to further segment the community. These things are huge. I see no reason to abandon the faith I've placed in them now.

I certainly come down in the "I felt shafted on Bungie Day" camp, but; like you, this isn't my first rodeo. I was a day-one Xbox owner solely for Halo. There was no other consideration. Nowadays? Not so easy to unflinchingly drop the change it takes to adopt the target console. Am I salty? Sure, a bit. But it's just the way things go sometimes.

I'm pretty loyal. I want the best, biggest, most ambitious game that can be built in this hyper-competitive triple-A space. I recognize that this requires selling a boatload of games. I recognize that this isn't 2000 or 2004, that these sorts of games take a lot more effort and money to make, that discs leave gamer's trays faster than ever, and games, even big games, can sink or swim in a matter of weeks. Bungie hasn't delivered a game I didn't find fun and worth every penny (even factoring in the costs of consoles), and when they do
that's when I'll believe that they have lost sight of what's important.

Agreed. And the ever-shortening attention span of the hardcore gaming market is one more huge reason why I think cross-platform is the way to go. When player populations dwindle, there's a negative feedback loop. I'm certainly not immune to it myself. When it starts feeling like fewer folks are playing, fewer folks are likely to want to play. I think a lot of what Bungie has done to make the world feel alive and populated will stave off that phenomena for a good while, but ultimately I think there's only one fix for it.

If this post is the sum total of your response to today’s reaction then it’ll demonstrate that that is all you think it warrants. Prove me wrong and show that Bungie cares about its customers more than providing shareholder value to Activision.

This sounds like the sort of passive-aggressive threat I really dislike. I guess if they don't respond further it will mean what you says it means, but what if they do respond further and that doesn't meet your criteria? Where does this end? I say play the beta and decide whether it's worth your nickels.

Based on my Alpha experience, I predict the mood around here will be different two weeks from now.

Proof and pudding and all that good stuff. Despite what anyone here says, I'm sure we'll see everyone boots-on-ground when the time comes.

Can't wait to play with everyone.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread