My theory. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 01, 2014, 05:12 (3566 days ago) @ Malagate

But the last line about us being Destiny. And now we're in Destiny. It's like that was his last statement to us before the collapse and the escape!

I could be convinced to buy the bit about Durandal escaping to another part of the multiverse, as much of a stretch as it is. An alternate timeline from the one in which he was conceived, say.

But that means the OG Guardian, the Marathon's Security Officer, ought to exist in Destiny's universe/timestream, as well, since he(you) is present in the final moments.

It's an interesting thought. It would be a pretty sweet cameo.

He could even be the Speaker, no?

I get the idea that the Speaker is a human (or at least was) that is "speaking for" the Traveler, not the traveler itself.

If one imagines Marathon Infinity's universe ending not just with the fusion of Durandal and Thoth, but also the Security Officer, then the interpretation of the Traveler in this universe being that entity could be made to make some kind of sense.

Unless the Speaker arrived with the Traveler, though, there's little reason to suspect him of being that entity, and if he was, what was he doing of significance between his arriving in this universe and the Traveler arriving at Earth?

It makes more sense if the end of the Marathon Infinity universe is the disrupting force that propels events in the Destiny universe-- Durandal/Thoth, the SO, and the W'rkncacnter all escape the closure into the Destiny universe. Durandal instinctively seeks out the Earth in this universe due to his unending obsession with humanity.

The W'rkncacnter also arrive and pursue him to Earth, on the way collecting such evil allies as it can: the Hive, the Fallen, etc.

The efforts of "the darkness" disable the Traveler and it goes dark, with only its cyborg emissary, the Speaker (Security Officer) to speak and act for it.

Personally my own interpretation is that all the forces aligned with the Darkness are actually returning human colonists, corrupted by the darkness and coming home to roost. It explains their interest in the Earth, the fact that all are roughly bipedal in shape. Perhaps the Traveler even made them into what they are, and they are seeking revenge. Perhaps they are the end product of the process begun by the Traveler when he arrived at Earth, having followed the paths of their outgoing colonists like breadcrumbs in the forest.

It's not as if the process of resurrecting the long dead in order to give them super powers ever turns out really well in the long term.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread