My theory. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 01, 2014, 07:08 (3566 days ago) @ Malagate

Hmm... I always thought Durandal/Thoth fusing was the beginning of one entity. I never got the impression that the Security Officer was part of that, since at the end, he is referred to as an other by Durandal in that final soliloquy.

No, me neither. I'm imagining that this is something that could happen in the Infinity universe some time between the end of that game and the closure of that universe. Although below I change that and suggest that all three parties escaped the closure, but remained separate.

Unless the Speaker arrived with the Traveler, though, there's little reason to suspect him of being that entity, and if he was, what was he doing of significance between his arriving in this universe and the Traveler arriving at Earth?

Wake me when you need me, and all that kind of stuff. Not like it wasn't done in the Marathon story arc.

Well... yes and no.

It makes more sense if the end of the Marathon Infinity universe is the disrupting force that propels events in the Destiny universe-- Durandal/Thoth, the SO, and the W'rkncacnter all escape the closure into the Destiny universe. Durandal instinctively seeks out the Earth in this universe due to his unending obsession with humanity.

Yes, this. There seems to be some truth behind the idea of the Darkness pursuing the Traveller over great distances, so from those considerations it's not a huge stretch to think interdimensionally. Originally I had thought that the Traveller was eons in the process of keeping the Light (and life itself) alive here and there throughout the universe by way of uplift efforts against the Darkness, but the idea of the W'rkncacnter pursuing our heroes to Destiny's Earth is pretty compelling.

The W'rkncacnter also arrive and pursue him to Earth, on the way collecting such evil allies as it can: the Hive, the Fallen, etc.

The efforts of "the darkness" disable the Traveler and it goes dark, with only its cyborg emissary, the Speaker (Security Officer) to speak and act for it.

Bingo.

[snip]

Especially with all the fighting between those factions, I have a hard time seeing what unifies them against humanity. Still hoping for some manifestation of the Darkness to actually align them in gameplay, like the Flood did for all bodies in Halo.

Well, I'm not sure we know they are unified against humanity. They are unified against the Traveler. They followed it here. I don't think they have a beef with humanity. I think they have a beef with the Traveler, and the Traveler basically made defending it a quid pro quo for all the cool technology it gave humans.

Of course, I could be wrong with all of this-- if humanity has no colonists until after the Traveler arrives, then the enemies could still be returning colonists, but then probably the source of the corruption is just the Darkness itself, and not the Traveler. In that simpler case, it's the Darkness that has a beef with the Traveler-- and only with humanity by extension.

It's not as if the process of resurrecting the long dead in order to give them super powers ever turns out really well in the long term.

Never, really.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread