Rocket Launchers (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 07, 2014, 14:48 (3502 days ago) @ someotherguy

Awesome post! Thank you so much!

Since you seem to have questions about rockets, and I've done - shall we say - extensive rocket research, I'll post my opinions here:

--

The mods I like for rockets are thus:

#1 - Detonates early based on proximity. This lets you fire down a hallway and kill anyone in that hallway. No need to aim at the floor or hit the guy. It kills people hiding around corners and is equally effective with fast or slow rockets. I've tried all of the mods for rocket launchers and this one takes the cake, hands down. I'd rather have a green with this mod in the crucible than any possible purple combination that doesn't have this mod.

#2 - Tracks target. Good for long range rocketry, not as helpful close up (because it's not like you were going to miss, amirite?). Generally guarantees a kill, especially in the open field or against a fleeing vehicle. Not good if your target dodges around a corner (the rocket tends to veer into the wall rather than go around it).

#3 - Cluster bomb. Especially effective in Control mode, the cluster bomb basically doubles the blast radius of your rocket by having several large, secondary explosions. It's basically just more forgiving than a normal rocket as far as aim is concerned, and you're more likely to get multi-kills if people are close-ish together. One note: The cluster area is HUGE, so you can sacrifice blast radius for projectile speed on your other options if you know you'll be using clusters.

#4 - Javelin. If you can't find a rocket with the above 3 mods, Javelin partially makes up for it with sheer velocity.

--

In the case of all rockets that do not have cluster bomb as an option, choose the highest blast radius that you can on your other mods.

in the case of cluster bomb, choose speed over blast radius.

--

The following rocket mods are basically worthless and should be avoided:
- Aims quickly
- Switch weapons quickly
- low recoil

--

One last note: Rockets take a long time to reload. As a result, 2-warhead capacity rockets are dramatically more practical than single warhead launchers. I'd still take "detonates early based on proximity" on a single-shot tube over any other 2-shot tube, but in all other cases, the 2-shotter is going to be better.

If you're lucky, like I was, you'll get something like my Steel Oracle: holds 2 shots, detonates early, radar remains active while aiming. Mmmmmm.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread