Some things that need to be improved (Destiny)

by Jabberwok, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 19:20 (3471 days ago) @ scarab

We need context

• How are we helping the city? Really.
  • We need to see the city - meet the habitants - experience an attack on the city and the toll.
  • Find something, do something that has visible consequences for the better - if the expansions have new kit maybe something we do makes this possible

Definitely agree that we need to see more of the City. The Tower by itself is not cutting it, doesn't give a window of the current culture or way of life of the people living there. This is cliché, but we need to have some idea what we're fighting for, and it'd be nice to see some place in the game that wasn't just an abandoned war zone. Also, an attack on the City would maybe shed some light on how the Traveler is protecting it?

All this talk about the darkness feels, almost racist, reminiscent of British Empire attitudes to the dark skinned foreigners. I don't mean literally a comment on skin colour - it's more the idea that foreigners have the wrong gods, obscene gods and ungodly practices. Just by being not us makes them less than human. (Yeh, technically they are not human but, hopefully you know what I mean.)

We slag off the Fallen as being stupid but, it appears that, they can build their own stuff. We keep our ships flying by stealing other people's stuff. We collect skin husks and bone marrow to keep our ships flying. Are they powered by dandruff? We steal hip replacement parts from Vex to ??? make our shit work. Are we going to steal the gold out of pensioners' mouths?

We are violent thugs, parasites who call everybody else dark and steal their scraps to keep us going.

We make no knowledge of our own.

Maybe this is what they were going for? I'd like to think so...

The golden age looks a bit crap

It's not the decay. Overall the art direction is amazing. Well most things look very nice but the stuff we scan looks very commonplace or underwhelming. I've scanned:

• black boxes on the outside of a building that look like electricity meters.
  • 1970's style computer cabinets
  • A hot water system (immersion heaters?)

Have we sunk so low that this stuff impresses us?

Yeah, the current day tech in the game is clearly much more advanced than a lot of the stuff we're scanning. They need to go with some more technologically advanced looking ruins for anything that's supposed to be 'Golden Age.' Otherwise, I don't see what the big deal is. The colonies on Mars and Venus are a bit more impressive in that regard.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread