A New Transmission (DBO)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 21:03 (3383 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 21:46

My simplistic analysis:

//SIG_INT/DAT_STRM_INJECT/COMM.AI.DBO.SEKHMET //MODE/EN
//BEGIN-TX

Hello, Guardians!

This looks like the standard message opening.

Foreign transmis.s.s.s.S[s]ion receiv=vv@vd-=ed at 094-------[?]

This looks like the transmission was interrupted by a foreign one, that is, a transmission from some other place or thing. The s might be significant, the color changes (and where they happen) might be significant, the number might be significant, even the number of hyphens (7) might be significant.

-> BUFFER ERROR!
-> BUFFER RESET...
-> LATTICE FAILURE!
-> RENEGOTIATE TX SYNC...

There's an error in the buffer, presumably the one holding the message.
The buffer gets reset.
The lattice failure is interesting, I'm thinking it describes the physical or logical processing structure.
There's an attempt to fix or change the transmission (tx).

I can't [g]et it øuT o-

This isn't just a jammed or highjacked signal, Sekhmet is fighting with the foreign signal source-- and losing. (?HSAVYSGHVUWFZOICMSFO)

-> FORK SKHMT > proc.Mandlebrot

In programming and/or operating system terms, forking a process (or a "proc", as it's often called in names) creates a copy of it or creates a new but related process, usually it at least has a similar or complimentary task to the process that created it. In operating systems ">" is used to redirect output-- send it somewhere other than the console or default terminal. I think the intended takeaway here is just redirecting Sekhmet's output, but maybe creating a duplicate of Sekhmet's process distracts it or ties up resources and makes it unable to interfere. The output is apparently going to a Mandelbrot-set-related process-- someone already pointed out Sekhmet mentioned before that it liked Mandelbrot sets, so I think this is a reference to that and not a clue.
A side note, SKHMT is of course Sekhmet in all caps minus vowels, which fits with the "programmery" way a lot of this is put together, but it's also oddly fitting for the subject. Ancient Egyptian had no capital and lowercase letters, and capital letters were invented first, so they're arguably a better choice for representing it. Ancient Egyptian also tended to leave out vowels, especially the "eh" vowel (like in "Sekhmet") as it was the most common one; if you know you the language you can just kind of mentally insert "eh" and other vowels where they make sense.

-> CHANNEL PURGE...
-> ...

This looks like clearing the channel, getting ready for a message.

//MODE/???

This enhances the mystery.

//COMM-OVERRIDE (TYPE=RAS-X/OVERRIDE)

Communications have now been completely overridden by the foreign source. The RAS makes me think it's Rasputin. I don't know if that's relevant or just flavor.

THIS IS NOT FOR HER MEDDLING.

I take this to mean the following isn't supposed to be intercepted (and meddled with) by Sekhmet, whose avatar and namesake, if not self-image, are female.

89504E470D0A1A0A//fTEwdhS|H2sqB2L|cQJEXEO|AWnzXwL|rcqQXcT|yLk9OGv

Finally we have the code proper, or what looks like it. This part has been figured out by now.

//EOT/NULL

The end of the transmission... I can't remember, I don't think it ended with /NULL before....

So yeah, fairly straightforward, but there might be things to get out of it still:
"=vv@vd-=": looks to me like a way of showing the word "received" being messed up, but it could be more than that
"094": I think this was supposed to be the time the transmission was received, or maybe the memory location where it was inserted, but it might be more directly relevant
"[g]et it øuT": this is in red, maybe it's an instruction? maybe the brackets around the g are to suggest the boxes in the pictures (one of them is a G), maybe we're supposed to remove those characters?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread