No Man's Sky for sure (Destiny)

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 06:42 (3382 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I agree, I don't think procedural generation means guaranteed failure. Implementation makes all the difference.

I think what would sink No Man's Sky is if it fails to provide an overarching purpose. The scope of the game and the incredible graphics and procedurally generated worlds/creatures/etc. are amazing, but if I feel like I have no real purpose I can see myself getting bored of the game very quickly.

Pure exploration can only take you so far.

Minecraft or 2D minecraft Terraria (I can't believe how blatantly Terraria ripped off Minecraft. Jesus christ designers have some dignity) could get away with not having a real strong sense of purpose because the big draw in those games was you could alter the worlds and build shit. That's really what you do in those games, even if they have enemies and bosses and whatnot.

From all the PR content about NMS I can't really gather any deeper meaning to the game beyond look at all the amazing tech we made and ohhh and ahhh at the pretty graphics. Maybe they're working on it and it will be there but it does give me pause.

After Destiny their is no day one purchase game for me. I will never do that again. But No Man's Sky is on my closely watching list. Hopefully it's a good one, lord knows we need some good new games.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread