On Crota Hard and the nature of Challenges (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:10 (3367 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really really like what Bungie did with Crota hard, and I know that may be in contrast to a lot of people.

It's sort of had what I've always wanted out of Destiny, and that is a challenge in which you have to scrounge together a solution using the resources that you have and use them creatively. For instance: you can't regenerate health. Big problem. So what do you do? Well, you can use Red Death, Surros, or various armors that regenerate health on orb pickup. Every class has a super that can have some form of healing as an optional perk. So there isn't one cut and dry solution, but you have a choice as to what fits your situation and playstyle. Don't have Red Death or want to keep that slot open for Gjallarhorn? Then use a helmet and grab orbs. Don't have that? Pop your super.

How do you deal with the boomers? Creative titan bubble placement? Have another character pull their aggro? You have options.

I felt like this raid really was a true test of how well you know the game inside and out, rather than Vault of Glass which while great, had a hard mode that was just harder because the enemies were higher level.

I found I was using abilities I never used, and armors I haven;t worn in a long time. I'd like more of that, where each challenge is unique and requires something different than just maxing out your sniper of choice or Gjallarhorn.

I completely agree in terms of the design of this raid. I've complained about the hard-mode Crota battle, but all my complaints are based around the random and fatal bugs that seem far too common. Our run last night was a testament to how great this battle can be when not crippled by bugs.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread