Agreed (Destiny)

by Earendil, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 16:40 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wouldn't dismiss the heavy-ammo issues so quickly...

I'm not suggesting it isn't an issue, only that it isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be.

For starters, the bug robs you of what? One or two shots per death. Hopefully you are firing at least that many prior to wiping, so of all the heavy ammo "lost", less than 50% should be due to the bug. The other 50% (or more) is used on Crota and not capitalized on.

when your team spends hours being wiped out by bugs, and your heavy ammo evaporates each time because of another bug, you can easily go through 15+ heavy ammo synths.

If you time it perfectly, using 15 ammo synths would take you 2.5 hours.
Looked at a different way, you should be able to wipe 2 times minimum for every ammo synth used.

Maybe I suggest that, if you and I were better, we'd use fewer ammo synths simply because we don't fail 30 times prior to taking him out?

Yes, if you insist on using heavy ammo, and your fire team isn't the best, and you have the time of day, you can burn through that many ammo synth.

And so far, there is no known alternative. Heavy ammo is needed to bring down Crota's shield. On normal mode you can maybe get away with Icebreakers, but even then it is barely possible.

I've used a heavy ammo synth maybe once to fight Crota. I'll note that I've wiped to him maybe 40 times and beat him 4 times. Yet I rarely (1 or 2 times) go at him with no heavy ammo. As one of those assholes that has a Gjallarhorn, I am required to have heavy ammo though. My solution is simple:

1. After a wipe, if I don't have enough ammo, I switch to my machine gun that increase the chance of heavy ammo dropping
2. Clear out each side of the room
3. Switch back to Gjall
4. Profit.

I rarely see less than 2 ammo packs, and have seen as many as 6. In any case, 95% of the time I end up with more ammo than I lose to the bug. I realize this may not work for everyone, either because the composition of your fire team means you alone are firing rockets, or because you don't have a weapon that increase heavy drop rates. But I point it out to say that there are alternative ways to approach the problem.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread