The Sunsinger: Perspective from a PvP Gunslinger (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:16 (3374 days ago)

So I finally leveled up a Warlock to 20 this past weekend, and I've been PvPing with it a bit now that I'm level 26 (I had Apothesis Veil, Legendary gloves and chest in the bank - and I'm still wearing level 18 green boots. It's like a microcosm of the loot RNG problems in Destiny). I'm admittedly not very good at Sunsinger. I miss my reload speed perks from my Hunter, I mis-judge how far my melee attack will reach, and I'm really not sure I've got the best perks chosen (I haven't even unlocked half of them, anyway). And my favorite PvP weapons are all on my Hunter, so I'm scraping by with un-leveled second choice arms (seriously, the rocket launcher I have doesn't kill with a direct hit. W T F).

That being said, Sunsinger feels like cheating to me. This is despite me barely eking out a 1.0+ K/D in most games. The melee is like always having a shotgun at the ready. The grenade is usually very effective. The super is literally superman mode. I never miss my jumps anymore. I have enough armor to survive most 1v1 encounters. My health regenerates instantly. I can melee for more shield. And so forth. I even drop more orbs for my buddies and make their cooldowns go faster.

It's all fairly disgusting.

As a hunter, I'm used to winning 1v1 by the skin of my teeth, or trading kills. I spend a lot of time crouching behind walls, waiting for my health to return. I pop my super and am immediately killed half the time. My grenade is just as likely to kill me as my enemy. And I'm a damn good hunter, routinely earning The Best... Around and On the Bright Side.

The balance, near as I can tell, comes from the fact that hunter perks make their weapons more effective. More stable with faster reloads. When my hunter gets rolling with full stacks of buffs, i just wade through the enemy, and I can do that every life, regardless of whether my super is up or not. The warlock, on the other hand, feels sluggish. My reloads take forever (could also be my weapons). But when Warlock super is up, I'm Captain Amazeballs. Situations I'd NEVER get into as a hunter (5 enemies on a flag), I'll wade right into with radiance going (and I'll win).

It's freaky to see how the other half lives. I'm a little scared that if I shuttle my good weapons over the lock, I'll never want to go back. This class is cheating.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread