"RNG" doesn't mean completely random... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 30, 2015, 05:37 (3371 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2u6pbk/probability_of_xur_selling_the_exact_the_same/

From a thread on reddit. The OP stats the odds are 1 in 10 million but this was reduced to 1 in 10 thousand further down the thread.

But if the DLC items have been weighted to fall more often, this reduces the odds significantly.

Smells off in my opinion.

I'm sure there are not only items, but sets that are weighted more heavily than others. Say that Voidfang Vestments have a 15% chance of dropping, and Heart of the Praxic Fire only has a 10% chance of dropping. While they are thrown into a jumble, VV has five more "entries" than HotPF, and so has a higher likelihood of showing up. Mix that in with all other exotics that have varying odds, and you run into situations where some items never show up, while a whole set of DLC gear can make an appearance...

Maybe there are two tables (DLC and non-DLC) and whichever shows up that week is random too?

I dunno, but the whole "1 in 10 million" seems to be under the assumption that every piece of gear has an identical chance of appearing in each individual slot (per class). If that were the case, we could theoretically have a week where he sells two of the same item, and I doubt that's possible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread