Xur is a freaking sellout (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:25 (3376 days ago) @ Monochron

I would be interested to see the raw numbers of how much the adoption rate of the DLC goes up each time it's a "DLC week". I bet it's not trivial.

Do you really think walling off parts of the game motivates people to buy the DLC? When it got walled off for me I just stopped playing. If the only activities that I routinely enjoy are removed for me, I don't have fun in the game.

I guess it depends on your definition of "walling off parts of the game". To me, the Will of Crota strike is the "part of the game" that is being "walled off" - and rightly so since it is extra content that took time and other development costs after the game's release. To me the "Nightfall" is not "content" - but rather just an activity set up to give you an incentive to replay that content.

Regardless of whether your definition of "walling off parts of the game" is similar to mine or not though, the answer to your question is yes, absolutely it will motivate people to buy the DLC. Obviously people that really want to run Nightfall versions of the strikes each week are going to be more likely to invest a little bit of money into having that ability. I understand that for some people, like yourself, it motivated you to stop playing, but that's definitely not everybody. In reality, they were probably not going to get your extra $15/$20 anyway if something that small was enough to get you to stop playing.

Also, (and I'm not directing this toward anyone here) I don't have a ton of empathy for people that get really upset when they can't do the Nightfall this week because they aren't willing to spend a few extra bucks on the content. If you are still playing the game this much and enjoying it, why not pay for the content? And if you don't want to (or can't) pay for the extra content for any reason, it's not like this policy is reducing the amount of strikes that you could have done this week anyway -- it only means that for those two strikes you aren't going to get a dip in the loot pool.

I think this argument was done to death when the DLC came out, but the general sentiment was that a huge amount of the End-Game was shut off for people who didn't pay up. You can't just play the super hard strike on your own, you need to select the Nightfall option because there is little customization in Destiny. And frankly some people enjoy the path to a reward and getting that reward far more than playing the strike alone. You might not feel that way, but many people do. Thus they are upset.

I don't dispute there are some/many upset people, nor do I fail to understand why they are upset. I'm just saying it's hard for me to have a lot of empathy for them. If you are still playing this game 5 months later, especially to the point where the extra end-game activities are that important to you, you shouldn't feel entitled to have the same amount of icing on your cake as the people who are willing to pay for it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread