When was Joe "let go" (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 23, 2015, 08:27 (3356 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My personal suspicion is that Destiny's plot and narrative (the thing Joe had been working so hard on over the past 5+ years) was thrown out, so Joe rage-quit. I'm basing this on nothing besides the timing of his departure, and the final product we got with Destiny, so I could of course be way off. But if I had year of my work thrown aside in favor if, well, nothing... I'd certainly find it difficult to stay :-/

This is what I felt about it also. It's not a firing, per se, but telling someone you're tossing aside years of their hard work for the garbage that is in the current game is the definition of a slap in the face. A punch, really. Add to it the fact that Joe's fantastic storytelling has ushered many Bungie games to glory in the past, and it really becomes all the more disturbing. You don't slaughter the golden goose, and you don't throw out Joe Staten's work. Hell, anyone who's worked on AAA titles knows that if you're throwing out the writing 1 year prior to delivery, your product is royally screwed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread