You cruciable players (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 23:09 (3343 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I can only speak for myself of course, but when I started playing Crucible I absolutely hated it. Kill times were too quick, everybody was bouncing all over the place, I couldn't learn the maps to, literally, save my digital life. I honestly don't know why I kept at it. Maybe for bounties and their xp rewards. Now that I've played a good deal of it though, it's one of my favourite things to do in Destiny. At some point the whole thing just clicked in my mind and I started coming out on top. Not just positive k/ds and high point totals, but leading my teams to victory.

Even so, there are times nowadays when I'll have a bad run of matches. It will be infuriating and I usually find I need to stop and take a break. Calm down by playing some simple patrol stuff, or even just turning off the game and doing something else.

Overall though, I find that Crucible is a lot of fun for me. And as with most things, the best way to do it is with friends.

Yeah, there was a time, perhaps months long, where I thought Destiny's multiplayer wasn't for me. But then I passed over some hump like you describe, where you've just been brutally murdered so many times (and usually out of nowhere), and you start to see the subtleties and strategy and most importantly, the fun, through the chaos. Now I'm more eager and interested in Crucible then I had been in Halo's MP for many years, and it was only in the last couple of months where my K/D ratios became consistently decent.

There's still some great maps in the Halo library that I miss, and Destiny's vehicles leave a lot to be desired compared to Halo (at least in the Halo games where they could actually survive in them for more than a few seconds), but the heart of the gameplay -the gunplay- is a lot more interesting in Destiny for me.

Actually, what you describe Dragoonite, is something akin to what I often felt in Halo over the years. I'd sweat profusely and often be frustrated or on the verge of BLARGs. I'd actually have to play with a fan directly pointed at me because I would literally overheat. My nerves were wracked, and fun was only found in spots in between BLARGs or when I'd find friends to play with.

Perhaps Destiny was a little like that at first, but after said hump, I can play for hours relaxed and calm. Perhaps you should just... not care as much? ;) Seriously, I think that actually might be part of the hump. Unlike other games, you just have to embrace a big dose of chaos and expect death at every corner. Put less stock in living and dying and more about what's need to be done and it might get less nervous. Destiny is crazy. It's less tactical shooter and more the Avengers and the Justice League going at each other in a small room. You can try to be Batman and plan ahead but sometimes the Hulk just smashes down and knocks out everyone in a twenty foot radius!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread