THERE! A CELL; FROM THE PRISON OF ELDERS! (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 17:11 (3328 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Secondly, if everything in games were merely to provide you clear information as opposed to being aesthetically appealing, then all games would have high contrast wireframe graphics, and sounds would be distinct shrill 8 bit boops. Is that how you want your video games?

Sure seems like that's how most of the gaming press wants their games. This "retro" gaming craze, man I just don't get it. I played those games as they came out... even at the time, I was dreaming of the day when games would look, sound, and play better. I was thrilled when 3D came along and we finally broke free of pixel art and 8 bit sound. I just don't understand the appeal.

Oh look at this new indie game! It's a sidescroller with an art style reminiscent of the 8bit era with MIDI music! Never seen that before!

It's part of the reason I couldn't bother to finish Fez, or play Terraria, or Steamworld Dig, any of the ten thousand other games in this style (sadly, even Lone Survivor didn't get finished).

I've never liked it either...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread