I would never step on personal preference. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:55 (3283 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If you can make high rof AR's work for you, I'd never discourage you from using them. Raichu has made them work for a long time, and if you can pair them with a sniper you like, they work very effectively against shotgun sliders (when you see them coming).

That said, I always encourage players who enjoy them to give Last Word a try, since that's basically a High ROF AR but with shotgun-sized stopping power.

I was mostly making a joke at Raga's expense, since he just bad mouthed Hard Light right after very vocally dying to one in an Iron Banner match last night.

That's the thing... it's not that Auto Rifles are "useless"... it's just that there isn't a single situation where they truly excel above all the other weapons. The best auto rifles often end up being "the 2nd best choice" in any given situation, which can make them feel well-rounded, yet underpowered in any 1-on-1 standoff.

I've been one of the loudest supporters of Suros Regime post-nerf, and I stand by my opinion: It is still a great gun. But, now that I'm finally starting to get the hang of Thorn and Hawkmoon, I doubt I'll ever go back to Suros (unless another balance tweak shakes things up).

So it's not that you can't go in to the crucible and do just fine with Hard Light, Suros, or a handful of other Auto Rifles... but I would argue that most people would do even better with a different weapon type, once they learn how to use it. Which is a shame, since I love auto rifles. And damn, Hard Light is a blast to use :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread