thoughts (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, June 24, 2015, 19:19 (3252 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It's weird, I think there's a ton of fun in destiny, but I think bungie slopes you towards a lot of unfun stuff (to me). You have to kind of actively ignore the incentive structure to get the best experience.

For example, I recently hit level 24, which is when the game marks it's incredibly awkward transtion from linear FPS to MMO end game grind (Seriously Bungie a pop up explains the light level system? really?) At that point the game kind of leaves you adrift. The only guaranteed way to advance is through gaining marks and rep, and the fastest way to get rep is through bounties/patrol missions.

Bounties and patrol missions are probably the most boring part of the game.

That's one example, in other ways the game tends to nudge you towards things that you personally don't like doing. For example, you need crucible marks to get most vendor gear. So if I want that Dead Orbit Lua S2, better get to crucibling.

It feels like Bungie wasn't totally cognizant of the different communities who would play destiny, and what they would want, so they designed a game where everyone kind of has to do a bit of everything, so you inevitably get into the stuff you just don't want to do.
=

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread