You're not wrong (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, June 24, 2015, 22:23 (3261 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Destiny is definitely the best it's ever been right now. It will probably get better. Eventually it may become the game that was advertised to us a full year ago. The ad guys did a terrific job writing checks that the game could not deliver on at launch. I truly hope someone who matters, somewhere that they're in a position to do something about it, learned from that.

I still want to know what was in an advertisement for the game that wasn't delivered on-- not a presentation or video on where they came from or what they considered or what they hoped to include, an advertisement of what the game would include. If they really put false information in an advertisement it would be grounds for a lawsuit, and if there were grounds for a lawsuit one probably would've been filed a long time ago.

Well, it's not like "we promise you 20 raids" or anything like that. I'm talking about things like the "Out here in the wild, this *is* how we talk" clip of in-game footage from the ads. And the interview where the designer said "Destiny is totally open world. If you see a mountain in the distance, you can go there."

That wasn't an interview, it was a presentation. Now, yes, that presentation should've been accurate, especially since it was repeated over the course of several days and broadcast during E3, but it wasn't advertisement. (An interview also wouldn't be advertisement.)

Saturn.

That was mentioned once in a vidoc, never anywhere else, including advertising.

All of the talk of the "epic story" when they really meant "epic setting with very little story."

You can't objectively say what is and isn't epic. It's like taking them to task for claiming it's "cool" when it doesn't meet your definition of cool. (Destiny's story doesn't meet my definition of "epic" either, for the record.) Anyway it's pretty clear to me they intended for the story to be epic by several meanings of the word, and it didn't work out. It does still span a large breadth of time and space in-universe, which is surely one part they were referring to.

Stuff like that. Things we thought would be in the game, but weren't, things we thought were reasonable to expect from a studio with the reputation Bungie had that we didn't get.

That's precisely why I asked the question I asked. People keeping mixing up their expectations with what Bungie actually said, and mixing up both of those thing with what was actually advertised, and then saying the advertising lied to them. An expectation not based on a direct, specific piece of evidence (if not several) is always suspect. You thinking Bungie's past games were good is not evidence of anything except their tastes and your tastes lining up to some degree and them not fumbling the execution too badly. The repeated semi-public presentation from before, on the other hand, is a pretty reasonable thing to base expectations on.
I focus on advertising here because it's supposed to be held to a higher standard than most communications. One of the few ways you can be taken to court for simply saying something in a country that gives you the right to free speech is to say something objectively false about something you're selling.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread