Handcannons vs Scout Rifles (Destiny)

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 29, 2015, 18:54 (3223 days ago) @ red robber

As it stands now, most handcannons are just better scout rifles with more impact and slower ROF's.

This has always bugged me. I'm a scout rifle guy, and I have to admit, scout rifles are just plain inferior most of the time to hand cannons. The few places where they shine is when you need mid-long range precision and periodic (slow-ish) damage up close. The templar fight towards the end, taking out goblins, oracles, and hobgoblins comes to mind as a near perfect setup for scout rifles. But in PvP especially, taking 4-5 shots to kill someone is just unreasonable. By the time you are far enough away to make that worthwhile, you're better off using a well scoped sniper rifle.

Even the shadow 710x at full auto takes 5-8 shots depending on headshots. Time-wise it's similar to TDYK or Timur's lash, but you have to land every single shot, fighting the instability along the way. I really wanted to like this gun archetype, being very suros-like, but it didn't work out for me.

There's just not quite enough play space for a mid-range only weapon. In some ways they suffer the same fate as the auto-rifles, though they have more usable space IMO simply due to range.

But space handcannons you say! Yes I agree.

And this is probably why. =)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread