Play style from Halo to Destiny (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 17:16 (3231 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Really, I'm not sure what makes me do this, as ammo drops are prevalent enough that you could use special and heavy weapons and liberally as you like, and it would rarely be an issue. And the super recharges more than fast enough to basically always be able. But I still subconsciously feel the need to save them all for later.

I remember Bungie saying they found something similar happening with Equipment in Halo 3. People wanted to save them, and as a result, didn't use them nearly as often as they were designed to be used.

I think this is what teammate's Orbs are supposed to do: encourage the use of Supers. Would you hold onto it if you saw plenty of orbs around you? I think that's one of the best parts about playing with others (making orbs while Solo is a tad disappointing).

As for ammo, I was the same way at first, but certain pieces of gear (Ruin Wings) and weapons (4th Horseman, Corrective Measure) have led me to embrace the non-normal weaponry, and I find the game enjoyable that way (there are always Synths in stock!).

So, I'm not really sure I have a point, just something curious that I noticed.

A few other notes/comparisons:

When I started playing Destiny, it felt very familiar (for obvious reasons). Going back and playing Halo, though, I've realized: Destiny is FAST! Player movement speed, double jumps, TTK . . . It's all much, much faster in Destiny than in any of the Halos. I kept trying to sprint and double jump in Halo: CE and Halo 2.

Same thing happened to me in Battlefield. I was wondering why they'd bother giving you the ability to hop if you can't go too high. Less of an issue in Borderlands, but the feeling remains.

Bungie's art style is still amazing. I've been switching between classic and upgraded modes in both games quite a bit, and while the new shiny graphics obviously look better, Bungie's design feels a lot more consistent and well thought out than some of the things the newer versions have.

Halo 1 surprises me with how wonderfully its aged. One neat thing that I noticed was on the level "Halo"; inside the small ramp buildings, you see columns with rows of lights actively running up and down them. In the new graphics, they're just lifeless textures.

For whatever reason, I actually sort of miss aim down sights when I'm playing Halo. I think it's just because that's become such a common thing in shooters, it just feels odd not to have it.

Good news! Halo 5 is adding this feature (in a way) to pretty much all guns. But yeah, the non-ADS is a relic of the old days, and is slowly dying out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread